VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does installer -upgrade do just the server ??? how about the hyperic shell?

I just upgraded the hyperic server from 3.0 to 3.1

I downloaded hyperic-hq-installer-3.1.0-439-amd64-linux.tgz and did a
tar -xvzf hyperic-hq-installer-3.1.0-439-amd64-linux.tgz.

I then /opt/hyperic/hq/hyperic-hq-installer/setup.sh -upgrade . This upgraded the server
Could I have used this installer to upgrade the agent also . HOW?
I downloaded the agent only package and just installed it, but was wondering if I had to?

Also HOw do I upgrade the hyperic shell ??? Could I again have used the -upgrade
with other options to include the agent and the shell

I dont see in the upgrade documentation any mention of specifying anything except -upgrade

I went back and used the setup.sh -full and just choose the hq-shell to install the new shell. Again Could I have upgraded all of these with the hyperic-hq-installer-3.1.0-439-amd64-linux.tgz file installer ?????
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

A note: this has been asked multiple times. In the future, please consult the docs - http://support.hyperic.com/ - and search this forum first.

To recap, the "-upgrade" flag is for the server. To "upgrade" the agent and shell (really, you're just replacing the entire directory) run setup.sh and install the agent and shell. The agent bundle doesn't have the shell, so you must use the installer bundle for that.

-John Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

A note: this has been asked multiple times. In the future, please consult the docs - http://support.hyperic.com/ - and search this forum first.

To recap, the "-upgrade" flag is for the server. To "upgrade" the agent and shell (really, you're just replacing the entire directory) run setup.sh and install the agent and shell. The agent bundle doesn't have the shell, so you must use the installer bundle for that.

-John Mark
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I always look in the forums and at your support pages. I spent consideral time looking there
for upgrade information . I really only saw how to upgrade a server, and agent. For the agent it really doesnt tell you if you should remove the old agent directory on the client systems or
server. Also I couldnt find anything on updating the hyperic shell, although I did figure out how to do that by looking around the installer directory. I was just thinking there might be a
option for the setup.sh that would upgrade everything server agent and shell with a option. If I have missed some documents that are out there for this Im sorry . I have not seen anthing on the shell upgrade or even if I had to upgrade it when the server is upgraded . Is there a man page on the setup.sh executable ???
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No worries. We don't have a man page for setup.sh, and I just realized that it doesn't honor the "--help" or "-h" flag, so that's probably something we should add.

However, that said, this page gives a good rundown of what the installer can do: http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Full+Installation+Guide

-John Mark
0 Kudos