VMware Cloud Community
slenke
Contributor
Contributor

Deploy custom Agent configuration

Hi all,

I am setting up an Agent right now and configure it to monitor a list of approx 50 metrics. This is done on dev and needs to be delpoyed to test and later production.
Right now I have one Server and one Agent in test. Production will be 1 Server and approx 200 Agents.
How can I deploy the configurations done in Dev to Test and Prod and how can I multiply this on to my 200 Prod Agents without going through every Agent and enable the metrics and plugins I want to use?

Stefan
0 Kudos
11 Replies
mbaker3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Stefan,

To have enable metrics on a global scale you can use the Administration -> Monitoring Defaults interface. This way you won't have to enable individual resources by hand.

As Murray suggested, the agent.properties is a good way to store agent configuration settings, I like to store my agent.properties file in the users home directory in ~/.hq/agent.properties (on unix) it protects any customizations from agent upgrades.
0 Kudos
slenke
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thank you,
I know about the agetn.properties file as well as the Monitoring Defaults. The question is, how do I get the configuration don on the my Dev HQ Server to my Test HQ Server, give the fact that the Server and its DB will be on a different physical machine.
DEV, TEST and PROD are all seperate installs with dedicated DBs.
Any best practice for this?

Stefan
0 Kudos
slenke
Contributor
Contributor

Murray,

I dod not know that the file is chekced on every startup. I thought its only used during intitial config. Good to know. Thanks

Stefan
0 Kudos
slenke
Contributor
Contributor

Murray,

thanks. I did not know that later changes in this file wil result in a different configuration. i though it is only uses it during the first initial startup.

Thanks, Stefan
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Stefan,

The best method for doing this would be to use HQApi to export the alert defs from one server and then use it to sync them onto another server.

There is some documentation on HQApi at http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/HQ+API+Command-Line+Tools

Let me know if this helps
0 Kudos
slenke
Contributor
Contributor

Am I right that there is no way of doing an "extract all" or "list all"? I always have to give the alert name in order to export it.

Stefan
0 Kudos
mcmesser
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
slenke
Contributor
Contributor

right, it works.
I tried it with metricTemplate, it does not work for it, so I assumed this wont work for all cmd calls.

Stefan
0 Kudos
mcmesser
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Correct, due to performance concerns not all command line options allow unfiltered use. You can always use the raw Java API for that 🙂
0 Kudos
slenke
Contributor
Contributor

thanks
0 Kudos