VMware Cloud Community
Wyrembelski
Contributor
Contributor

Defining Alerts and Escalations. Availibility...Also Hard drive Monitoring?

Hey guys. Apparently my brain is not working properly today...

1. What is the best way to create an alert/escalation combo in order for HQ to send an email when one of my servers reaches less than 100% availability. And then send another one once the server comes back online.
2. Another scenario is to send an alert every 10 minutes until the server comes back online.
3. Also isn't it possible to monitor/send alerts for hard drive space?
For example if a server reaches less than 10 percent hard drive space it sends an alert email?

Any help is appreciated !
Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

1.) This depends on if you are using the opensource (free) version or vFabric version (commercial)
2.) You can configure an escalation to suppress duplicate alerts for 10 minutes and then repeat. See http://support.hyperic.com/display/EVO/Configure+and+Manage+Escalations for more specifics
3.) The "FileServer Mount" platform service (should be auto discovered) will have a "Use Percent" metric. You can define an alert to fire if "Use Percent" > 90%
0 Kudos
Wyrembelski
Contributor
Contributor

If I am using the "free" version is there any work arounds that will at least tell me when a server goes down and then comes back up without me having to acknowledge or fix any alerts?
0 Kudos
mbaker3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not in the free version. In the Enterprise version you can use a recovery alert to fix the alert automatically when the server comes back up.

What you could do is run a script (periodically with cron) to automatically fix the alerts using the CLI. You can use "alert list" to find them and "alert fix" to fix them. (Some assembly required!)

Hope this helps . . . Murray
0 Kudos