VMware Cloud Community
Ian_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Dashboard Doesn't Update

I am running 3.1, but the problem existed, for me, in 3.0.5 as well. My dashboard doesn't update - or more specifically it takes a considerable amount of time to update. For instance:

1. Recent Alerts - after acknowledging/fixing an alert it will still be listed as unfixed
2. Metric Viewer (Availability) - could show 100% or 0% but the inverse is true and clicking on the resource will show the correct status
3. Availability Summary - same as the Metric Viewer; shows down or up but the details of a resource report differently

Is there a way to speed up the refresh/update interval for the dashboard?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can confirm this behavior after I upgraded from v3.0.2 to v3.1.0.
0 Kudos
Ian_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Nice! Good to know I am not alone.

I pulled up the dashboard from another computer to see if it was some odd caching problem...

From Firefox 2.0.0.3 on OS X 10.4.10 everything seems to appear correctly and refresh at an acceptable rate. Brad, can you try viewing the dashboard from a different machine/OS?

The non-refreshing dashboard exists on the Hyperic server (W2K3 SP2) using IE 6.0.3790.3959 SP2. Even if I do a shift-refresh the "older" content is still displayed. Logging off/on to the console has no effect.
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ian,

There have been instances where caching affected dashboard performance. Your note about it working correctly on a different machine leads me to suspect this may be the case. I know you did the forced-refresh, but just for my personal edification, can you verify if you've deleted your cache?

-John Mark
0 Kudos
Ian_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

John,

I've cleared the cache and logically the page refreshed with the most current data. I will try a test alert and clear it and let you know if the dashboard still has problems updating.
0 Kudos
Ian_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

John,

No joy. After tripping the test alert the dashboard did not list anything under recent alerts.

I forced-refresh. Nothing. I pulled up the dashboard in Firefox on the Mac and it showed correctly.

I closed IE on the W2K3 box and reopened. Then it showed up correctly. I acknowledged the alert (in IE), the page auto-refreshed, but still listed the alert as un-acknowledged. I forced-refresh and it was still listed as un-acknowledged.

However, when I refreshed Firefox and it showed correctly. Something's amiss.
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ian,

This sounds a bit like a previous bug that we fixed for 3.1 - http://jira.hyperic.com/browse/HHQ-813

Although it's interesting to note that it might only affect IE users.

Please post your issue in the bugs forum. Nipuna regularly tabulates those.

-John Mark
0 Kudos
Ian_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Issue has been posted in the Bug Forum ( http://communities.vmware.com/message/1919087#1919087 )
0 Kudos
dgorman_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also - if you're using OSX Safari Beta 3.x I think the dashboard doesn't update either - but can't really complain to Hyperic to support a beta browser 🙂
0 Kudos
Ian_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using a stable version of Firefox 😉
0 Kudos