VMware Cloud Community
jdthompson17
Contributor
Contributor

Considering SIGAR for the following.....

Hi all!

Someone pointed me to SIGAR after I presented the following scenario:

I am a developer being asked to perform load testing on another application. The application to be tested I will refer to as BASE. The load testing application I am developing will be called TESTER. BASE will be running on a UNIX platform while TESTER will be running on a WinXP platform.

Q1: Can I include SIGAR as part of the TESTER code to retrieve CPU usage and memory footprint for BASE?

Thank you for your response!!

JD
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SIGAR is open source. The answer to your question probably lies with the Hyperic legal dept.
0 Kudos
jdthompson17
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think that is the issue as TESTER will not be distributed, only run to perform loading testing on BASE. When I asked about inclusion in the code I was actually wanting to know if SIGAR, from within the TESTER code, will be able to retrieve system information on BASE.

My apologies if my prior post was not clear on this.

Thanks!

JD
0 Kudos
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ah, okay. Technically, I believe the answer is "yes".
0 Kudos
Matt5D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You want to use a windows machine to monitor a UNIX computer without installing anything at all on the UNIX machine? That sounds more like you want an SNMP agent. SIGAR is designed to be installed on the computer it's monitoring. You could certainly use SIGAR and write a much lighterweight network interface for it that a windows computer could monitor remotely instead of having a JVM running like the out of box implementation that comes with HQ.
jdthompson17
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Matt and Brad!

You both were very helpful and I appreciated your response. I believe that I am going to have to, as you indicated Matt, write a basic "server" app for the linux box and use RMI to my local machine.

Again, thank you both very much for your time and feedback!!

JD

Message was edited by: jdthompson17
0 Kudos