VMware Cloud Community
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring Tomcat 6.0 plugin

I decided to put this in it's own thread, since it's pretty much buried in my previous thread titled "New Autodiscovery" and this topic is different then that thread.

I was able to install the Apache Tomcat 6.0 plugin and select it as a Server on one of the machines that has Tomcat 6.0. However when I tried to configure it in Hyperic using the Configure tab, I got the following error:

Invalid configuration: Plugin not found: measurement plugin name=Apache Tomcat 6.0 not found

Plugin not found? How is that? I did also add the following to catalina.sh

Configure Apache Tomcat for JMX

To configure Tomcat for JMX monitoring see http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/monitoring.html.
For a quick down and dirty method follow these instructions,
in /bin/catalina.sh add:
JAVA_OPTS="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=6969 \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false $JAVA_OPTS"
export JAVA_OPTS
From there restart Tomcat and that is it.

Has anyone ever configured this plugin and has anyone had success with this?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi gnovak,

yes it works as decribed. I tried it out with Apache Tomcat 6.0.14

>I was able to install the Apache Tomcat 6.0 plugin and select it as a Server on one of the machines >that has Tomcat 6.0. However when I tried to configure it in Hyperic using the Configure tab, I got the >following error:

What plugin did you install ? Tomcat 6 doesn't need a plugin, because it's monitored via JMX.

Cheers
Mirko
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

See this thread.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/349035?tstart=15

I was told the Apache Tomcat plugin will monitor Tomcat 6.0
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

IT'S ALIVE!

Ok, so...

I was tinkering with this and i finally got it working. I looked in the directory /hyperic-hq-agent-3.x.x/pdk/plugins and I didn't see the tomcat-plugin.xml in there. Originally I put the tomcat-plugin.xml on the server in the plugins directory I have there. By putting the tomcat-plugin.xml on the server in the plugins directory, it allowed for me to choose it from the list of servers to monitor.

Sitting here, I thought, "Let me try putting it in /hyperic-hq-agent-3.0.3/pdk/plugins" and I did. I then restarted the hyperic agent on the machine I am trying to monitor Tomcat 6.0 on. A few minutes later it popped up in Autodiscovery on the Dashboard and then turned green!

So I guess that was the problem.
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think you upgraded your Server but forget to upgrade your agents. I advice you to use always the latest version of server and agents

Cheers
Mirko
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

The autodiscovery did find apache, but whoever configured the box that is running apache did it differently. It's running apache2 and is there are files all over the place. I pretty much tried to get apache working using the same instructions I used on other machines that Hyperic is successfully monitoring. However it's still red in Hyperic.

Also some of the machines do not have mod_status installed. I was told we would have to recompile apache to get this installed, and that's not something we want to do right now considering these servers are running customers web sites.

I'm going to try what you suggested and see how that goes! Thanks for your help excowboy! You're awesome!
0 Kudos