VMware Cloud Community
sylvestersteele
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring Oracle

Hi,
I am using agent v4 to monitor Oracle 10g. I have a few questions:

#1 The TNS listener was not auto detected. Is this normal?
#2 I want to manually add the TNS listener as a service. Do I give the complete path in the tnslistener field, like: C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\BIN\TNSLSNR ?
#3 In one of the services, I see a "Logons Current (active)" metric. Does this give the number of logons for all the users? Or is it only for the user that HQ uses to track oracle? If it is the latter, how do I track the total concurrent logons? I see that I can add a new "User instance". My guess is that if I create a service for every user then I'll get the number of concurrent sessions for every user. But, for this I'll have to manually add all the users. Is there a better way (since I only want the total and not the per-user number)?

Thanks
Sylvester
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarieMcGarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Sylvester,

You do need to manually configure the TNS Ping service. It isn't auto-discovered.

To add it, browse to the Oracle server, and then choose New Service from the Tools menu.

Choose TNS Ping from the Service Type pull-down. Give the new service a name, click OK.

The Inventory page for new service will appear. Click the Configuration Properties link.

Enter TNS listener name (LISTENER? I'm not sure), and the ping timeout.

I believe the the logons current active is for all users, both interactive and otherwise, but I'll have to check on that. I don't completely understand your question in this regard.

I did notice however that the plugin documentation pages on HyperFORGE are out of date, as they don't include the TNS Ping metrics. I will get the metric pages updated ASAP.

Hope this helps.

marie
sylvestersteele
Contributor
Contributor

Marie wrote:

cite="mid:9330839.120331236724416355.JavaMail.jive@web2.hyperic.net"
type="cite">
Enter TNS listener name (LISTENER? I'm not sure), and the ping timeout.

I've tried:

1. The name of the listener exe

2. The path to the listener exe

3. A PTQL query like State.Name.eq= exe name

None worked. So HQ is unable to monitor this.

Thanks,

Sylvester

0 Kudos
jvalkeal_hyperi

TNS Ping is done by calling 'tnsping' through script included in hq-plugin.xml. This script is meant to be used in unix. This service is not marked as plain unix service on xml file, but I don't see how it could work on windows.
sylvestersteele
Contributor
Contributor

Janne wrote:
> TNS Ping is done by calling 'tnsping' through script included in hq-plugin.xml. This script is meant to be used in unix. This service is not marked as plain unix service on xml file, but I don't see how it could work on windows.
>

Will it work on Linux? How do I configure it for that?

Thanks,
Sylvester

0 Kudos
jvalkeal_hyperi

I should work if you install oracle client libraries and programs to your linux box. If you can 'tnsping' from your linux system, HQ should be able to do it.
0 Kudos
sylvestersteele
Contributor
Contributor

Janne wrote:
> I should work if you install oracle client libraries and programs to your linux box. If you can 'tnsping' from your linux system, HQ should be able to do it.
>
Thanks for your reply. How do I configure this service properly? I see
a text box in the config settings called tns listener. What am I
supposed to put in here?

Thanks,
Sylvester

0 Kudos
jvalkeal_hyperi

First the same user which is running hq agent needs to be able to run tnsping succesfully. Oracle db id is given tnsping as argument, like 'tnsping ORADB1'. This ORADB1 needs to be same as found from YOUR oracle tnsnames.ora.

This ORADB1 is your 'listener' name and is the one what can be used in HQ. Also remember that tnsping need ORACLE_HOME environment variable to your oracle installation.
0 Kudos
ag3
Contributor
Contributor

I am also not able to configure TNS ping serive. I have provided JDBC URL and credentials as well as listener name. When I see logs from agent, it gives,

2010-12-14 14:48:12,328 ERROR [pool-1-thread-1] [ExecutableProcess] [../../bundles/agent-4.2.0-1260/pdk/work/scripts/oracle/hq-tns-ping, -p, C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin, -n, XE]: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: ..\..\bundles\agent-4.2.0-1260\pdk\work\scripts\oracle\hq-tns-ping -p C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin -n XE error=193

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
AG.
0 Kudos