t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Configuration Tracking

Hello, guys

I have a couple of questions regarding the configuration tracking of hyperic.

First, how exactly does it work? How exactly does it knows if a change has been made? Is a copy kept on the server, or it just uses timestamps ??

Second, I read in the documentation that the collection interval for the configuration changes is 15 minutes. Is there a way to modify this value and decrease it to like 2 mins for example.

My boss is waiting on me to let him know how all this works, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Its a bit more advanced than just a timestamp comparison.

The agent does a hash on the file and the hash is whats stored on the server side. This hash is then compared at regular intervals. Since it is a hash, there is no revision kept of the file itself. Config track will not tell you specifically what changed inside the file however it will notify you that the file has changed.

Not entirely sure about changing the check intervals, likely it can be done though it would require some digging.
0 Kudos
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

It was very helpful. Now I will be able to use this capability properly and explain my boss how it works .
As far as changing the collection interval, in case it is that important for our enterprise, I will make my little quest and find it.

Thanks again
0 Kudos