VMware Cloud Community
mwells_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Configuration Tracking - Unable to track changes of configuration file

Hi,

I am trying to track a configuration file using Hyperic. I have created a custom plugin that contains the plugin type "config_track". The custom plugin resource is auto-discovered by Hyperic and I've added it to the inventory. I go to the resource's configuration properties to enable configuration tracking and specify the file I want to track. I create an alert and select as the alert condition "Config changed and match file name". When I modify the file no alert is trigger and within the Monitor view of the resource I do not see any indication that the file has been modified. I also viewed hyperic's log file and see no indication of any monitoring of the file. I have set the file permissions to allow the hyperic user read access to the file. Am I taking the appropriate steps to enable configuration file tracking? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
mwells
0 Kudos
2 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I prefer to run the plugin on the commandline to debug a problem. Have a look at the following page and scroll down to the bottom:
http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/Invoking+Plugins+Standalone

You will find a command that you may adapt and run to check whats wrong with your config tracker.

Cheers,
Mirko
0 Kudos
mwells_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Mirko,

Thanks for the tip. I referred to the command line and tested tracking my config files and it worked. Also the alerts I had already defined in hyperic fired as well. I'm not sure why they didn't fire before but thanks again.

mwells
0 Kudos