VMware Cloud Community
lundrog
Contributor
Contributor

Cisco ASA 5500

I can not get any data from my ASA 5500.

I have added it both as a cisco ISO and PIXIOS

Anyone have any idea's?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The Cisco and Pix platform plugins (or any SNMP plugin) use information present the enterprise MIBs (OID name/value pairs) specific to the information accessible from those devices. Using the generic "Network Device" may be a quick solution. If you can get core information you need using the generic SNMP type, that would probably be the best place to begin in monitoring that class of device.

From there, if you had more specific needs for information that is exposed via the MIB for the device, you could try your hand at putting together an SNMP plugin using this tutorial as a guide:

http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOC/SNMP+Plugin

If you get something working, it would be great if you could contribute it to the HyperFORGE (http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/hypcomm/HyperFORGE) so that others might benefit.
0 Kudos
lundrog
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to just import the mib data without making a plugin?

Like, adding manufactures mibs for a network host?

Since I have never made a plugin, I don't think I want to start by attempting it on a ASA device.
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Lundrog,

could you provide me more information about the device especially relevant mib files and oids of your interest.

Mirko
0 Kudos
lundrog
Contributor
Contributor

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/asa/asa-supportlist.html

That has the mibs

and I haven't sorted through them fully, but I am just looking for cpu / memory usage, and network throughput.
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I've built a _very_ basic plugin. Maybe you can give it a try ? Please make sure that you've got a basic understanding of how plugins work and how to enable metrics.

Mirko
lundrog
Contributor
Contributor

Great,

I upgraded a box to the newest version of HQ server, and copied the plug in to the correct directory.

What did you make the platform auto discovery or how should I add the device?

I saw some auto discovery things in the file, but i wasn't sure if that was for metric data or the device it's self.

Thanks so much!

Message was edited by: lundrog
0 Kudos
lundrog
Contributor
Contributor

it finaly updated and let me select Cisco ASA as a platform, but when I click on monitor it says

"

The configuration has not been set for this resource due to : Invalid configuration: Invalid request: Failed to lookup OID for name=cipSecHistCheckPoint (last lookup failure=null)
"

I put in the IP of the ASA and the same message comes back, and the IP defaults back to 127.0.0.1
0 Kudos
lundrog
Contributor
Contributor

ok, I so took out that line, that calls cipSecHistCheckPoint

and deleted the plugin

how do get the cisco asa to be removed from the platforms.

It is still giving me the same error, even though the line is gone from the file.

Do i have to delete everything and restart?
0 Kudos