VMware Cloud Community
DreadPirateFlin
Contributor
Contributor

Chart refreshes?

Hey everyone,

Here's my problem:

I like to use the View Full Chart that compares a bunch of resources (the pretty colored graph). This page will update every few minutes- its a great way to monitor things. But- if I change the date range on the page, it uses a POST type form submit. Now, when the page refreshes, Firefox asks me if I really want to submit the form again. Since this page gets created with GET parameters in the first place, it seems like it would be safe to make the date range submit a GET rather than a POST. Has anyone had luck changing this behavior? I'm a bit unfamiliar with J2EE apps, and a cursory glance through the application has yielded no simple place to change "POST" to "GET". Alternately- is there a way to turn off that warning in Firefox?

I can certainly understand that somehow, for some reason, that submit NEEDS to be a POST, but in that case, after accepting the POST, could the app do a redirect to GET style URL? This would also help with constantly setting (and re-setting) the date range when the page refreshes (like if you changed it in another window).

Thanks for any advice!

DreadPirateFlint

PS- I was in San Francisco for JavaOne recently and met some of the Hyperic guys. It was great meeting you all in person, and thanks again for a great product!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

One way of getting around it is to Return to Resource and then click
on the metric again to view the full chart. The time range change is
applied globally, so it will be sticky.

Charles

P.S. It was great meeting you as well. Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos
DreadPirateFlin
Contributor
Contributor

clee,

Thanks for the reply. The only problem with that solution (besides the obvious), is that if you have more than 10 items monitored and you change which resources are displayed (the checkboxes at the bottom), then you go back to the dashboard and re-click on that resource chart (I have this chart saved to my dashboard), it resets your choices on which items to display back to the default (eg- wrong) ones. Any other suggestions? Why is it critical that those 2 form submits be POSTS? Could I try modifying my local install and see how it goes? Any idea where such a modification would take place? I don't mind being a guinea pig...

DPF
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I see. Well, it may be possible to do some local modifications,
except that it's a multi-step process because we precompile our JSPs
into Java classes for performance. I'll double-check with the
engineer who implemented that feature and get back to you.

Charles

0 Kudos