VMware Cloud Community
roger_symonds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can one Hyperic agent report to many HQ Servers?

Hi,

This probably sounds like a weird question, and I can hear you asking why would you want to do that?

I would like to see if it is possible to have one production server for internal use, and another server for demonstrations purposes.

This way I can setup demonstration applications and groups that look fancy but aren't that useful, without having to set them up each time and then remove them (or enable and disable alerts etc.) It will also be a good training/demonstrating environment for new staff with real data.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Roger

Message was edited by: roger.symonds
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Currently the agents can only report in to one HQ server, the work around for this of course is to run 2 agents on one machine if its a requirement that they report in to two servers.

However, a better option would be to take advantage of roles. You can setup a read only role without the ability to receive alerts or perform control actions that would let you keep everything in one environment but segregate out who has access to what and to what extent.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Currently the agents can only report in to one HQ server, the work around for this of course is to run 2 agents on one machine if its a requirement that they report in to two servers.

However, a better option would be to take advantage of roles. You can setup a read only role without the ability to receive alerts or perform control actions that would let you keep everything in one environment but segregate out who has access to what and to what extent.
0 Kudos