VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can hyperic EE or open source monitor remote mounted windows file systems ?

Can hyperic EE or open source monitor remote mounted windows file systems ? shares

I have a Hyperic windows server Enterprise Version 3.0.3 and if I click on the dashboard the file server mount resource, I see as a green ball the local NTFS file systems but the remote file systems have a gray ball. I see this on the server and also on EE client windows servers .
If I try to conifure the disk it says its NOT mounted or not configured properly. Since
windows hyperic server and client run as root , I thought I could get access to all the disk.
Can hyperic monitor shares or remote windows file systems ??? It may be that the account that installed hyperic server has a share to the z:\ remote file system ,but my root account
that I use to access the hyperic EE server does not ??
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you install the Windows agent as a service, it starts-up and runs using the SYSTEM account by default. This account will have full administrative rights to monitor most things on the local machine, but will not be able to successfully connect to remote shares on the network. The account used to install the software has no bearing at this point. Also, the permissions of the agent, not the server, are what effect the ability to access the remote network share.

If you wanted to monitor your network shares using the agent on this box, and not on the server actually hosting the network share, you can modify the agent service through the Services Control Panel:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

2. Find the "HQ Agent" service, and double-click on it (or right-click and select Properties)

3. On the Log On tab, select the "This account:" radio button, and enter in the information for a valid network user account, along with its password

4. Click Apply or OK to make the change take effect

5. Restart the "HQ Agent" service

Keep in-mind, whatever account you use will need to have the necessary permissions to collect information from the local box, as well as permission to connect to the remote network share.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you install the Windows agent as a service, it starts-up and runs using the SYSTEM account by default. This account will have full administrative rights to monitor most things on the local machine, but will not be able to successfully connect to remote shares on the network. The account used to install the software has no bearing at this point. Also, the permissions of the agent, not the server, are what effect the ability to access the remote network share.

If you wanted to monitor your network shares using the agent on this box, and not on the server actually hosting the network share, you can modify the agent service through the Services Control Panel:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

2. Find the "HQ Agent" service, and double-click on it (or right-click and select Properties)

3. On the Log On tab, select the "This account:" radio button, and enter in the information for a valid network user account, along with its password

4. Click Apply or OK to make the change take effect

5. Restart the "HQ Agent" service

Keep in-mind, whatever account you use will need to have the necessary permissions to collect information from the local box, as well as permission to connect to the remote network share.
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks you somuch for answering . I will try this . Thanks again
0 Kudos