VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I collect from each platform config data and place in comma separated

Can I using the built in beta 3.0 v278 server and its clients running the client software, get the
information about these client in comma separated format so I could put the data in a XLS
spreadsheet or a url . ? Info like ip address, cpu.memory,netmask, applications etc ???
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
noah_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the benefit of those reading this thread who may not have seen the replies to the last question (in other threads):

1) Plain ol' Mozilla is not supported whereas Mozilla Firefox is supported. (That was the reason why hypermike could not see the Escalation Actions.)

2) In the Open Source version of HQ you execute Control Actions from the Control tab of a Server or Service. You can not trigger Control Actions from Escalations.

[In the subscription version of HQ you can trigger control actions from within an Alert Definition.]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think all of what you are looking for can be pulled out into an XML file using the CLI, but if you are still having problems with using the CLI with the 278 build, that will be of little help. If 278 still is giving you problems with hq-shell, you should be able to get what you want with the next published build by doing something like the following:

hyperic@server ~/shell-3.0.0 $ ./hq-shell.sh
hq-shell::not-logged-in> login hqadmin@localhost
Password:
Successfully logged in as hqadmin at localhost:2099
hq-shell::hqadmin> resource export resource_export.xml
Exporting HQ inventory to 'resource_export.xml' ...
Exporting platform 'foo' ... Done
Exporting platform 'bar' ... Done
Validating 'resource_export.xml' ... Done

Although I've not grabbed this kind of information through a direct query of the database myself, I am fairly certain it is possible to do so. It would probably be much less straight-forward than what I have shown above.
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The latesr beta versio 296 is on /sourceforge.net/ Can I upgrade from 278 to 296 ?????
0 Kudos
noah_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you can upgrade from 278 to 296.
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I updated to 296 and am able to NOW login to the shell and run your commands . The commands produced the XML file with much information . I was wondering though if the INFo that one gets upon clicking resource (platform) at the top of the page ,things like
Description: Ubuntu 6.06,Default Gateway: 130.202.172.1,Vendor Version: 6.06,OS Version: 2.6.15-27-amd64-server could be collected for each platform and put into a comma separated file. I seem to remember seeing a forum question that said how to perhaps do this.
Do you have any suggestions ??. Im not to familiar with XML files. My boss has setup some web pages with all the servers we administrate and I think he would like to populate it with INFO the HYPERIC collects He has php files on the web . Also I see in your admvertise ments about creating custom demos for people . Is that for Enterprise supported users ONLY? I know our admins are looking for a product that can replace SERVERS ALIVE. .that monitors our windows,unix,and linux boxes and send out alerts when they go down. I think thet use pings BUt
I cant seem to figure out how to ping all these systems and send alerts with hyperic. Also I think the windows
group my be interested in monitoring event logs . Are the controls and actions part of OPEN SOURCE or only with
the Enterprise version.???

Message was edited by: hypermike
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

We can create custom demos for interested folks - these are fielded by our sales staff. Just fill out the form at http://www.hyperic.com/demo/custom.html

Also, it should be fairly trivial to set alerts based on availability of the machines you mentioned.

Control actions are part of the open source release, although I'm not sure you can use them in conjunction with alerts. Have you had success with them?

-JM
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You said control actions are part of open source . I cant get it to work at all. When in the
escalation scheme admin window I click on Create Action to create a action and NOTHING happems. ????
0 Kudos
noah_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the benefit of those reading this thread who may not have seen the replies to the last question (in other threads):

1) Plain ol' Mozilla is not supported whereas Mozilla Firefox is supported. (That was the reason why hypermike could not see the Escalation Actions.)

2) In the Open Source version of HQ you execute Control Actions from the Control tab of a Server or Service. You can not trigger Control Actions from Escalations.

[In the subscription version of HQ you can trigger control actions from within an Alert Definition.]
0 Kudos