VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Best practice for Log File Monitoring

Hi,

I have the (fairly standard) task to implement log file
monitoring on some machines for a customer on some Unix boxes.

The parameters are as follows:

- Several log files per machine
- Multiple different regular expressions per log file
- For each regular expression match, an alarm should be created

I can't seem to find a straightforward way to implement this in
Hyperic HQ. I am using EE 4.1.2 at the moment.

Since the problem is rather trivial, probably I am just
overlooking something. Can someone with more HQ experience
please provide a pointer?

Thanks and regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bryan_jones
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same requirements. Except I'm monitoring logs for Spring Batch jobs.

The problem seems to be that Hyperic requires you to setup a 'Server' of some pre-defined type first. Then you may set up log tracking on that (under Configuration monitoring). Major app servers are supported, including standalone SUN JVMs via JMX.

However, batch jobs are different beasts... there is no long running MBean server to connect to for monitoring purposes. The jobs start, JVM starts, the jobs end and the JVM ends. Log file monitoring is really the only option here... but I can't seem to find a way to do it with Hyperic.

This may be a deal breaker for us on the use of Hyperic ... which would really stink.
0 Kudos
mcmesser
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Setup a FileServer File service to monitor the log. Navigate to the Platform that is running Spring Batch, click the Tools Menu, and click Add Platform Service. From there you'll be able to name the Service and configure which file it should watch.

Make sense?
0 Kudos
ssroy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Marty,

I want to monitor the access log created by Tomcat. I did the steps you have mentioned.

If I click on the created service, it shows me graph for "Size". But I am interested to draw graph for the response time against a URL.

Can you please help me.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards - Roy
0 Kudos