VMware Cloud Community
Justin99
Contributor
Contributor

Auto Discovery not working on Hyperic 4.4

Hi, I am brand new to Hyperic. I just installed Hyperic HQ sever and got that started OK (and webinterface is working). Just as a test, I then installed the agent on the same windows 2003 server, and that got installed and seems to run OK. No errors in the logs as far as I can see. But despite several attempts at stopping and restarting agents, etc, the server does not show up in the HQ monitoring screen. I am using all default settings, including for ports. The connection test during the client install was fine.

I tried adding this manually as well by creating a new platform, then new server (is network host the right option for a windows server? all the other options seemed to relate to networking devices)

I entered the server details (host name, ip address, correct port number, etc), but then I got a whole screen of configuration items related to snmp to fill out, with an error that the entries were wrong, but I do not know (or would expect to know) this level of detail to monitor a server with such a tool.

Not sure what is going on here, any help appreciated. Thanks!

(I am using Hyperic 44 because we are using a WIndows 2003 server for the monitoring server, for this initial test setup).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does it show up in Auto-discovery? You need to accept it into inventory before it will start reporting data.

0 Kudos
Justin99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, no that is the trouble I am having, it is not showing up with auto discovery, and if I try and add the server manually by going to add New Platform - New Server, and entering the details (hostname, ip address, fqdn), it does not find the server to be monitored either, even though agent is running. I get a monitoring configuration page with title"configuration errors" and alot of snmp entries to correct, which I have no idea about. As I said, I am new to Hyperic, and just following the docs does not seem to get me anywhere. At the moment, I am just testing the software by running the server and agent on the same box, to see what it can do... No errors in agent or server logs as far as I can see either.

0 Kudos