VMware Cloud Community
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another SNMP post

We are trying to send mysql traps from the mysql dashboard to an agent running snmpd and snmptrapd.

we have configured a network device to point at an (proxy)agent and the server running the MYSQL dashboard, but we are not seeing the traps in hyperic.

is there anything else i need to do.

I have consulted the online docs and it all seemed pretty straight forward, but ?...

Many Thanx in anticipation of any replies
0 Kudos
17 Replies
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not sure if its related - but did you see Doug's post on this one?
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1918176#1918176
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Stacy

Thanx for the reply, but our situation is a little different in that we have a number of CISCO devices and they are working perfectly(some erratic alerts) being triggered, but apart from that we're fine compared to Doug's Situation.

we are just trying to receive traps from an application.
We have platform.log_track.enable = true and set at Debug level and in the /var/log/messages file we can see the output from the MYSQL application so again networking and access is fine.

I just don't see how, now that we have everything setup according to documentation, hyperic can pick up the traps and display or alert on them, it does seem a little unorthodox the way hyperic deals with SNMP

again Many Thanx
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

any ideas ?

I can easily see all the Cisco SNMP collector posts, and CISCO is a HQ supported device ours work well too, but has anyone tried using an application to send traps to hyperic and alert on them.

another thing, you can easily get the SNMP tab displayed in "ALERT DEFINITION"to work by setting "SNMP on" in HQ server settings..

but i've tried to get it to accept traps from an application and so far have been unable to.

someone somewhere must be interested in getting this to work?
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also i can see the NICs off the machine we are sending traps from, so that proves the config is correct.
This machine does not have an hyperic agent running on it so it must be good.

But i need the traps being sent from MYSQL Dashboard monitored not anything else.

has any one else tried this method before ?
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I stumbled across your post, and wanted to check-in to see if you've made any progress. While I've not specifically done this with MySQL Dashboard, I have successfully setup SNNP traps to be generated by applications, and received by an HQ Agent. Check out this piece of documentation for details:

http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Agent+SNMP+Trap+Receiver

The one thing that I am failing to see in the description of what you have done is the setting of the trap destination address and port in your application. Also, depending on the user context you are using to run the HQ Agent, you may have to adjust the SNMP trap receiver port. By default the agent uses a privileged port, which will not work unless you are running the agent as root (DON'T DO THAT). The documentation above will show you how to adjust this setting to work with an unprivileged user account (like "hyperic").
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanx for your reply cwitt

That is the same documentation i have used to get to this point.

The port address and destination sent by the application go to an agent running snmpd/snmptrapd.

they are sent to 10.3.x.xxx/162

and the agent.properties file is configured snmpTrapReceiver.listenAddress=udp:0.0.0.0/162

we are currently running our agents as root, but this can be changed to a normal user once testing has finished.

we will deal with security once we have hyperic working properly.
our infrastructure is tight and am confident we are safe.
0 Kudos
Leander
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently experiencing the same problem. I want to enable the SNMP trap receiver on an existing
HQ 3.1.1-EE Agent . I've added 'snmpTrapReceiver.listenAddress=udp:0.0.0.0/1620" to the agent.properties file and restarted the agent, but it is not binding to the designated port.
Unfortunately there is zero relevant output in the agent.log file, not even at level debug, so I have no clue where to from here...
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you can check the /var/log/messages file on the agent(proxy)for any snmp info, that's what i have been doing
I don't know for sure if anything will show up in agent.log unless hyperic can alert on it..

do a netstat -nap | grep snmp to check which port snmp is listening from and also do an snmpwalk -v1 -c "community string" "ip address" to test your connection from agent to snmp device.

but yes you're situation is similar to mine.

I'm finding it all rather frustrating at the moment, and we actually paid for our copy !
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also check your snmptrapd.conf file on the agent(proxy)

it can be very basic with a couple of lines to get it working

ignoreauthfailure true
disableAuthorization yes

is all mine contains
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am able to replicate the issue with the port not binding upon agent start. I will log a bug.

goodluva: I assume that if you are a paying customer of the Enterprise version, you also have JIRA access. Could you please open a SUPPORT ticket for this issue (if you have not already done so) so I can log the bug to it.
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

a-ha at least we have something to work on, glad for that..

I will log a ticket in jira pronto.
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Jira ticket SUPPORT-1147 now opened

Many Thanx again.
0 Kudos
Leander
Contributor
Contributor

I also submitted a support request and the folks at Hyperic examined the issue. It appears that the trap receiver was not broken, but its workings are merely a bit counter-intuitive 🙂

Chip has added some extra vital information to the documentation page:

> Why Don't I See the Open Port With `netstat`?

> It is only natural to want to check your work following the agent reconfiguration to insure your trap > receiver port is actually open. Unfortunately, if you have not yet enabled log tracking on the
> network device, the port will not be open when you check. Once you complete all steps in this
> procedure, netstat output will produce expected results.

See http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Agent+SNMP+Trap+Receiver

Leander
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Leander, have you managed to get it to work yet?

I'm getting fed up with it now!
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Have you been in touch with support? Also, I thought Chip's addendum to the docs had temporarily resolved the issue.

-JM
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We found that the two issues identified in this thread, while apparently the same at first, were actually two separate issues with the same feature. Leander's was resolved through clarification in the documentation, and is closed.

I believe we may be hunting for a configuration issue in the other case. Both were logged via Support, and the one that is still open is actively being worked on.
0 Kudos
goodluva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chip
Please see the jira ticket we have open on this issue

Many thanx

-----Original Message-----
From: hq-users-bounces@hyperic.org [mailto:hq-users-bounces@hyperic.org]
On Behalf Of Chip Witt
Sent: 06 December 2007 16:50
To: hq-users@hyperic.org
Subject: Re: Another SNMP post

We found that the two issues identified in this thread, while apparently
the same at first, were actually two separate issues with the same
feature. Leander's was resolved through clarification in the
documentation, and is closed.

I believe we may be hunting for a configuration issue in the other case.
Both were logged via Support, and the one that is still open is actively
being worked on.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the information. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Net a Porter Ltd.

Net A Porter Ltd is a company registered in England & Wales Number: 3820604 Registered Office: The Dome, Whiteleys Centre, 151 Queensway, London, W2 4YN.

0 Kudos