VMware Cloud Community
ddavis_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Alert emails not working

Hi,

I found some info on this in the forums, but am still having trouble debugging my alert emails. I am just getting started with hyperic and have set some bogus alert conditions so I will receive many and frequent alerts. Within the dashboard, I can see that the alert condition has been encountered and alerts have been thrown. However, I am not receiving emails.

I updated my smtp host in hq-server.conf to be a valid smtp host, and restarted the server.

My hq server is running on windows xp.

Is there any way to see what error (if any) the application is encountering when trying to send alert notification emails? Is there a log file I can watch? Any other troubleshooting tips would be very much appreciated.

thanks,
Danielle
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To see more debugging details, you can look in:
server/conf/templates/jboss-service-events.xml

The mail connection settings are in there and to see more verbose logging, change mail.debug to true.

Restart HQ and you can then watch the server.log for the actual SMTP messages and errors.

Is there a tail -f equivalent in windows?

Message was edited by: ama
0 Kudos
ddavis_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My email is working now. I think I need to be more patient. My change to the correct smtp host worked, it just took a long time for the next iteration of checks.

Thanks for the debugging tip though, I'm sure I will need it as I continue to fill Hyperic with my system information.

-d
0 Kudos