VMware Cloud Community
sjmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AIX 5.3 Memory statistics

What exactly does the hyperic agent look at when it is gathering memory statistics for AIX?

I've got one AIX box running 5.3 ML4 and it's not collecting any memory statistics. However, the other AIX 5.3 ML4 boxes I have are collecting it fine.

All of them are running Hyperic 3.0.2 agents.

Any idea where to start looking for the issue?

Thanks.

sh
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Steven,

The metrics are collected by the sigar library, which is reading from /dev/kmem for the memory metrics.  We can probably change sigar to use libperfstat on AIX 5.2+, but in the meantime, the agent process just needs read access to /dev/kmem.  Having the user running the agent in the system group should fine with the default perms:

% ls -l /dev/kmem
cr--r-----   1 root     system        2,  1 Nov 17 2005  /dev/kmem

On Apr 17, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Steven Hajducko wrote:

What exactly does the hyperic agent look at when it is gathering memory statistics for AIX?

I've got one AIX box running 5.3 ML4 and it's not collecting any memory statistics.  However, the other AIX 5.3 ML4 boxes I have are collecting it fine.

All of them are running Hyperic 3.0.2 agents.

Any idea where to start looking for the issue?

Thanks.

sh

sjmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Doug,

Actually I fixed the problem with a restart of the agent on the host. I also found an AIX agent that was monitoring some file systems but wasn't getting data on others. Again, a restart of the agent seemed to fix the issue and I started receiving data. I should note, however, that the agents had never been 'restarted' in a technical sense. They were still running from a first time install, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos