VMware Cloud Community
PaulS_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

64 vs. 32 Bit client install question

Hello,

I'm running a RHEL and Windows server environment that is almost all 64bit. I'd really like to use RPM installs for linux and MSI installers for windows wherever possible because it's a little easier to do but I'm not opposed completely to building from source if needed.

I see that there is a RedHat 32bit "RPM" but no 64bit "RPM". Would you recommend using the 32bit client on a 64bit server or just taking the default "linux" 64bit tgz download and building it myself?

Also, for the windows environment, there seems to only be a 32bit install. I do not even see a 64bit option for windows. Would it be ok to use the 32bit client on a 64bit windows machine?

Thanks,

Paul
0 Kudos
2 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Paul,

most parts of the Agent are written in Java and the files are being shared across all platforms. However some parts of the Agent (SIGAR) is platform dependent, but as I understand every package contains all libraries for all platforms.
The only thing in a package that is really platform dependent is the bundled JRE ( if it is part of the package ) , so if you get it manage to use the correct for your platform (instead of the bundled one) I do not see any reason to use the 32 bit package.

Cheers,
Mirko
0 Kudos
jtataGP
Contributor
Contributor

32 bit clients work fine on 64 bit windows servers. I am running several. Only catch I've found is with installing the agents in C:\Program Files (x86). The ( ) in the path seems to cause problems and the service isn't created.

If you use a different path, C:\Hyperic\agent-4.x\ for example, it works fine.
0 Kudos