VMware Cloud Community
ogg1e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

5.8 on Centos can't send email via SMTP

For some reason, the server can't send an email. I get this in the log for an alert I set up:

23-03-2014 11:36:46,237 ADT ERROR [pool-2-thread-3] [org.hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.session.EmailManagerImpl@162] Error sending email: [HQ] !! - Free Memory < 4.7GB eosstgdb01

The email address it is trying to send to is correct. I've installed postfix and testing it with telnet and I can send an email successfully. I've also use the mail program to send an email successfully, so I know postfix is set up correctly. I also can connect to the smtp server remotely from another server. I even set HQ to point to another server that has postfix running and it still failed. So it's definitely something with HQ.

All I had in my conf file was:

server.mail.host=127.0.0.1

I then tried:

# Change to SMTP port

mail.smtp.port=25

# SMTP properties

mail.smtp.auth=false

mail.smtp.socketFactory.class=javax.net.SocketFactory

mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback=false

mail.smtp.socketFactory.port=25

mail.smtp.starttls.enable=false

But it didn't make a difference.

In the HQ server settings, the only option for email is:

base url : http://10.31.30.20:7080/

From Email Address: aa@aa.com

So what else can I do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ogg1e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns our that I needed to add the hostname 'hyperic' to the /etc/hosts files. Once that was there, it was able to send emails. I guess it must use the hostname when it does the SMTP HELO command???

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ogg1e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns our that I needed to add the hostname 'hyperic' to the /etc/hosts files. Once that was there, it was able to send emails. I guess it must use the hostname when it does the SMTP HELO command???

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe this is because the Hyperic server looks to the database to get the hostname of the mail server which is set during deployment instead of the hq-server.conf file as it did in the past.

SELECT propvalue FROM EAM_CONFIG_PROPS WHERE propkey='CAM_SMTP_HOST';

0 Kudos