VMware Cloud Community
sajithsethu
Contributor
Contributor

VCentre 7 HA on a two node fail over cluster

Hi,

I have recently purchased vmware essential plus kit, and the plan was to have 2 node fail over cluster. I have installed  Exsi 7 on the nodes and the iSCSI storage mapped to them, now to have a fail over cluster where should i install the vCenter 7 server or what is the best practice ?

I tried to install the vCenter 7 on the Exsi host-1 and configured the cluster. but the problem is vCenter server is not switching when node-1 fails.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already enable HA (High availability) in the cluster's settings? With HA properly configured, VMs that were running on the failed host, will be restarted on another host.
Please note that "vCenter HA" is something different, which requires  3 nodes, and vCenter Server Standard licensing.

André

0 Kudos
DARKINF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best practice is to install vCenter Server on separate management cluster, but if budget is you constraint - you can deploy vCenter on the same cluster as your workload, but dont forget to unable High Availability for that cluster. Also check that you have shared storage, that is presented to both your hosts

0 Kudos