VMware Cloud Community
DaveASmith81
Contributor
Contributor

SCCM VCM overlap

G'day, I'm pouring through the documentation now and I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who has realized appreciable gains using one over the other.  I spent considerable time last year getting SCCM2012 going, and my latest task is to implement vCenter Operations Manager Suite.  Operations Manager is done, the implementation plan for Infrastructure Navigator has just been approved, Hyperic is last on my priority list.  Which brings me to VCM and the question as to what benefits it has over SCCM that will make it worth implementing

Cheers

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisBCarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am currently working with both SCCM and VCM. We will be migrating to VCM because it provides better insight with vcenter and vcops. i especially like the accuracy of collections and the robustness of the client. It also provides adobe and java updates which i hate packaging in sccm. With vcm it is already packaged for you. With SCCM you have to install SCUP or create the package yourself to push those types of updates. What i do like about SCCM is updating is that you only have to 2 steps to deploy patches, select patches and deploy. with VCM you seem to have more steps create an assessment template, collect machine data on patches, run the assessments again, deploy missing patches, and run a assessment. Now i suppose you could automate that with schedules but it seems kind of clunky?

i am currently working with package studio which is VCM's equivalent to deploying applications. i will update you if i can about my progress through the migration and my thoughts but that is as far as i have got so far.

0 Kudos
gershonb
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Need to make a decision between SCCM and VCM (or puppet). Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
bireland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Compliance and reporting. VCM reporting is far superior to any other product.

0 Kudos
irodebush01
Contributor
Contributor

Depends on your environment. We currently have VCM for compliance reporting, but use SCCM for Windows patching and patching compliance. VCM is great because we can report compliance on Windows, Unix/Linux, and our Virtual Infrastructure. Basically you can report on your entire environment and see the compliance status in vCenter and/or vRops.

That being said, the road map for VCM is that compliance will eventually be rolled up into vRops but I haven't been able to get much more out of VMware. The latest vSphere 6 Hardening Guide is already supported in vRops.

0 Kudos