VMware Cloud Community
Hejahida8
Contributor
Contributor

Agent install failing on Windows 2008 R2 servers

Hi I'm having difficulties getting the VCM Agent to deploy to any Windows Server 2008 R2 servers in my test environment, when I set the Agent to install via the web console it fails on the first step "Detect Previous Install", and fails within seconds of the job starting.

When I look at the server I'm trying to deploy to under Licensed Windows Machines in the console it has StatusConnection Unknown (when you hover over the icon) and the entry in the Type column is Unknown, looking at the admin guide it suggests that this should be displaying as Windows Server or even the OS of the target server. This is the same for each server I try to deploy to.

The servers were added via IP discovery and also added manually (and set as type Windows Server) but this doesn't seem to make any difference, they are displaying the same problem.

If I look at the job details for the failed agent install job it gives the same error each time, this is "Failed: m_spiCssObj->DoFinal4(crspiInputBuffer->GetDispatchPtr(), spiOut.GetReleasedInterfaceReference()) HRESULT 0x80070057 = The parameter is incorrect;"

I've tried manually installing an agent onto one of the servers but running a collect job on that server fails, and it still shows as Unknown under the Licensed Windows Machines as though the agent isn't installed.

Also tried disabling UAC completely via local policies (there are no GPOs applying to these servers yet except out of the box AD policies) on the target server, just disabling prompts within UAC as per VMware KB and checked that the Network Authority account has local admin permissions on the target server.

I have been able to collect data for the virtual environment from my two vCenter servers but the Windows OS data isn't showing for these servers either and attempting to run a collect job on them fails at the first step again if I ask it to collect Windows information.

All servers in this environment are either Windows 2008 R2 or VMware appliances so I don't have any other Windows OS machines to try to deploy to.

My set up is VCM 5.7 in a 2 tier configuration with SQL server 2008R2 for database and Windows Server 2008R2 for the collector and SQL Reporting Services, and the collector also acts as the Agent Machine for deployments. Deployment is set to use DCOM, but I tried HTTP and this failed with the same issue, all servers are on the same VLAN as the collector and there is no firewall in between them.

I'm out of ideas so any help gratefully received.

0 Kudos
0 Replies