VMware Cloud Community
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter addition to Chargeback

Hi,

I am unable to add a vCenter server using the chargeback UI. I get a server not available message with all possible combinations (windows authentication, credetial authentication). I was unable to connect to the vCenter database using MS management studio as well so i am starting to doubt if i am giving the database parameters correctly. Could somebody detail what the exact parameters should be?. I am running ESX 4.1.

I tried MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM, SQLEXP_VIM, server\SQLEXP_VIM etc etc...but nothing seems to work.

Any clues?

thanks!

Gak

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Could you try with new user so as to rule out any problem with user account?

Please create a new user Security > Logins > New Login… (Uncheck “Enforce Password expiration” and “User must change password at next login” options)

Go to select the database VIM_VCDB (or your VCDB name) and assign db_owner role.

Now, try to login through MS SQL management studio with this user (from the machine where Chargeback server is installed). If it works, then Add vCenter Server operation should also work.

Regards,

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Could you please refer to the details provided in this post and let us know if it solves your problem?

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1618565#1618565

Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!.

So i am able to connect to the SQL database using the management studio with the <vcenter>\SQLEXP_VIM and VIM_VCDB parameters with integrated authentication.

But the GUI for adding vCenter server in Chargeback continues to throw an error - "Unable to connect to vCenter database server, with teh specified credentials". I tried windows as well as credential auth, but nothing seems to work. Ideas?

0 Kudos
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Could you please confirm the following things?

Chargeback uses JDBC and TCP/IP connections. Please make sure that vCenter server DB is accessible through TCP/IP.

1. Maybe in the 'SQL Server Network Configuration' the TCP/IP protocol is disabled. TCP/IP needs to be enabled. (You need to restart the SQL server services after enabling it.)

2. If you are using 'Instance name' (e.g 10.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS) while connecting to the SQL database, then 'SQL Server Browser' service should be running.

3. Please make sure the remote connections are enabled for SQL server.

4. For Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication, you need to make sure that the above steps are checked.

You are able to connect using the management studio with integrated authentication. If you are using windows authentication, Chargeback needs to be installed under windows authentication. If you are using SQL server authentication, please make sure that you are able to connect to database through the SQL server authentication. (That is, SQL server should have been configured for both SQL server and Windows Authentication mode).

Please let us know if it still does not work.

Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm, i must be missing something elementary here.

1.       Maybe in the 'SQL Server Network Configuration' the TCP/IP  protocol is disabled. TCP/IP needs to be enabled. (You need to restart  the SQL server services after enabling it.)

yes - it is enabled.

2.        If you are using 'Instance name' (e.g 10.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS) while  connecting to the SQL database, then 'SQL Server Browser' service should  be  running.

Yes, the sql browser is running and i am able to connect using management studio.

3.       Please make sure the remote connections are enabled for SQL server.

yes it is enabled.

4.       For Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication, you need to make sure that the above steps are checked.

You  are able to connect using the management studio with integrated  authentication. If you are using windows authentication, Chargeback  needs to be installed under windows authentication. If you are using SQL  server authentication, please make sure that you are able to connect to  database through the SQL server authentication. (That is, SQL server  should have been configured for both SQL server and Windows  Authentication mode).

Tried with both methods, but all i get is the "Unable to connect to the vcenter database with teh specified credentials". Any ideas?.

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

One quick question.

Were you able to connect to vCenter Server Database using SQL server authentication through Management studio?

Please do this operation from the machine where Chargeback server is installed and let us know the result.

Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So i have not been able to connect to the database using sql server authentication at all. Windows authentication succeeds without issues, and this works from all hosts. I tried from the host that has vCenter chargeback installed (using management studio) and it works without issues. I am able to connect using windows authentication, but not with SQL authentication from any host. I tried with all possible credentials, but it doesnt seem to work, and i dont know what i am missing.

0 Kudos
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Could you please check whether your SQL server is configured for both “SQL server and Windows Authentication mode”?

From SQL Server Management Studio, Properties > Security > SQL server and Windows Authentication mode. You also need to have SQL server user to access through this SQL Server authentication.

Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I should have mentioned this in my earlier response. It is already set to "SQL server and windows authentication mode", but no credential i try seems to work with SQL credential method.

0 Kudos
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Could you try with new user so as to rule out any problem with user account?

Please create a new user Security > Logins > New Login… (Uncheck “Enforce Password expiration” and “User must change password at next login” options)

Go to select the database VIM_VCDB (or your VCDB name) and assign db_owner role.

Now, try to login through MS SQL management studio with this user (from the machine where Chargeback server is installed). If it works, then Add vCenter Server operation should also work.

Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Im sure i tried this initially, but let me double check adn verify.

thanks!

Ganesh

0 Kudos
ganbidada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Super!. It worked!!!. I had not assigned the database to the role that i had initially created...that was the missing piece....d'oh!.

thanks Hemanth!!!..very much appreciated.

0 Kudos