VMware Cloud Community
damnstraight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

error generating report via API

Hi to all you vChargeback users out there!  I'm trying to get some reports generated using the Chargeback API, but I'm having some difficulty.  I'd like to create a usage report for a simple hierarchy, and export it to XML, however, when I send my request to the server, I get "an error has occured".  I turned on trace-level logging in vChargeback, and it returned the helpful Java Excpetion that you can see below.  It appears that there is a missing enumeration?  I am using the values listed in the chargeback API 1.5.0 documentation.    Any assistance would be much appreciated!

I will list the response first, and then the request XML that I am sending in:

<Response xmlns="http://www.vmware.com/vcenter/chargeback/1.5.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" status="failure">
  <Error majorErrorCode="500" minorErrorCode="0" message="An error has occurred. Please contact the system administrator or try again later." />
  <ErrorStackTrace>java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No enum const class com.vmware.vim.vcenter.chargeback.utils.ReportType.USAGE_REPORT
        at java.lang.Enum.valueOf(Enum.java:196)
        at com.vmware.vim.vcenter.chargeback.utils.ReportType.valueOf(ReportType.java:9)
        at com.vmware.vim.vcenter.chargeback.reporting.rest.RestReportingRequestHandler.validateXMLPayloadForCreateReport(RestReportingRequestHandler.java:260)
        at com.vmware.vim.vcenter.chargeback.reporting.rest.AbstractRestReportingRequestHandler.constructReport(AbstractRestReportingRequestHandler.java:81)
        at com.vmware.vim.vcenter.chargeback.reporting.rest.RestReportingManager.generateReport(RestReportingManager.java:137)
        at com.vmware.vim.vcenter.chargeback.reporting.rest.RestReportingManager$$FastClassByCGLIB$$44e0949e.invoke(&lt;generated&gt;)
        at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:149)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(Cglib2AopProxy.java:700)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:149)
        at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:90)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.intercept(Cglib2AopProxy.java:635)
        at com.vmware.vim.vcenter.chargeback.reporting.rest.RestReportingManager$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$a8cf4aee.generateReport(&lt;generated&gt;)
        at com.vmware.vim.vcenter.chargeback.rest.facade.CBMImpl.RestReportingManagergenerateReport(CBMImpl.java:8960)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1573.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.performInvocation(AbstractInvoker.java:136)
        at org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.invoke(AbstractInvoker.java:82)
        at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.JAXRSInvoker.invoke(JAXRSInvoker.java:109)
        at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.JAXRSInvoker.invoke(JAXRSInvoker.java:63)
        at org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor$1.run(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:56)
        at org.apache.cxf.workqueue.SynchronousExecutor.execute(SynchronousExecutor.java:37)
        at org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor.handleMessage(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:92)
        at org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:220)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.ChainInitiationObserver.onMessage(ChainInitiationObserver.java:78)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletDestination.invoke(ServletDestination.java:92)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invokeDestination(ServletController.java:283)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invoke(ServletController.java:128)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractCXFServlet.invoke(AbstractCXFServlet.java:174)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractCXFServlet.doPost(AbstractCXFServlet.java:152)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteBinderValve.invoke(JvmRouteBinderValve.java:227)
        at org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.ReplicationValve.invoke(ReplicationValve.java:347)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
        at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProcessor.process(AjpAprProcessor.java:427)
        at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol$AjpConnectionHandler.process(AjpAprProtocol.java:384)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$Worker.run(AprEndpoint.java:1584)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
</ErrorStackTrace>
</Response>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Request xmlns="http://www.vmware.com/vcenter/chargeback/1.5.0">
    <Reports>
        <Report>
            <MetaData>
                <Name>api_test</Name>
                <Description>api test</Description>
                <ReportType>USAGE_REPORT</ReportType>
                <ReportPeriod>
                    <From>1304222400000</From>
                    <To>1306814400000</To>
                </ReportPeriod>
                <CreatedBy>0</CreatedBy>
                <OwnedByName>nchu</OwnedByName>
                <Hierarchies>
                    <Hierarchy id="3997">
                        <Entities>
                            <Entity costModelId="4033" id="3998" />
                        </Entities>
                    </Hierarchy>
                </Hierarchies>
                <ComputingResources>
                    <ComputingResource id="1" />
                    <ComputingResource id="5" />
                    <ComputingResource id="9" />
                    <ComputingResource id="10" />
                </ComputingResources>
            </MetaData>
        </Report>
    </Reports>
</Request>

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dprabhakaran
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

The valid value for <ReportType> element in the input should be UTILIZATION_REPORT.

Looks like there is an error in the API documentation,  We will get it corrected, sorry for the

inconvenience caused.

Thanks & Regards

Diwakar

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dprabhakaran
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

The valid value for <ReportType> element in the input should be UTILIZATION_REPORT.

Looks like there is an error in the API documentation,  We will get it corrected, sorry for the

inconvenience caused.

Thanks & Regards

Diwakar

0 Kudos
damnstraight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ahhh, excellent!  thanks very much!

0 Kudos
daveniu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have just had the same problem as the API documentation has still not been updated 😞

0 Kudos