VMware Cloud Community
owjeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tracking Disk IO

Can vCenter Chargeback be configured to track and report on Disk IO? Not throughput (Kbps) but actual IO (reads/writes)? If not, are there any 3rd party reporting utilities that can do this? There are underlying vCenter metrics for disk reads/writes per-VM so it seems possible, but I can't find any evidence of it in Chargeback.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amrainders
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

No, vCenter Chargeback cannot be configured to track actual Disk I/O (not throughput KBPS).

I think you want to track "disk.numberRead.summation" and "disk.numberWrite.summation" VC counters, right?

We will track this as a feature request and try to incorporate in a future chargeback release.

-Amrainder

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
amrainders
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

No, vCenter Chargeback cannot be configured to track actual Disk I/O (not throughput KBPS).

I think you want to track "disk.numberRead.summation" and "disk.numberWrite.summation" VC counters, right?

We will track this as a feature request and try to incorporate in a future chargeback release.

-Amrainder

0 Kudos
owjeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. Yes, those are the counters we are looking for.

0 Kudos
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for your request.

We are already looking at a feature in our roadmap to dynamically add custom counters. I think it would solve your problem.

Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos