VMware Cloud Community
jamescousins
Contributor
Contributor

Report Scaling and Hierarchy

I am investigating ways of automating external network usage reports for my customer VDCs via Chargeback.

I have managed to schedule this type of report for a single customer VDC quite easily however we need to scale our reporting to hundreds of customers and many Chargeback instances.  Ideally I would like to run one report against each of my Chargeback instances, collecting external network usage in and out for each organisation in one go.  This way I never need to manually add a report for a new customer.

I have tried creating a custom hierarchy however the hierarchy I can build against my vcenter server does not contain external network elements (as far as I can see) and looks nothing like the hierarchy that is seen when you create a hierarchy against vcloud director in the standard fashion i.e.:

<customer>

<Allocation Pool>

<Networks>

<Pay as You Go>

<Reservation Pool>

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how I can achieve the above.  I am very new to using Chargeback (any time on it spent on just getting it to pull data correctly!) so any advice would be appreciated.

Chargeback 2.0.1

VCD 1.5

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pmasrani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Is your requirement a single report for all the VDCs in a VCD setup, or multiple reports (one per organization) fine for you? If it is the latter, I believe Automatic Report Scheduler will be of help to you.

You can create an automatic report schedule to match some criteria (say, name of an org) and it will automatically create schedules for each of the orgs, which match the criteria.

You can find more information about creating automatic report schedules in the user guide.

Let me know if you need more help or if automatic report scheduler does not satisfy your requirement.

Thanks,

Piyush

0 Kudos
jamescousins
Contributor
Contributor

Piyush, thanks for your input, I have been looking at the automatic scheduler.

Is it possible to use wildcards in the hierarchy name?  I have tried a few wildcard variations but it doesn't seem to work.  What I am trying to achieve is an auto report schedule that will generate schdules for all existing and future hierarchies.

0 Kudos
pamarnath
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

It is not possible to use the wildcards in hierarchy names for auto report schedule. However once you define the criteria like contains/starts with/ends with/equals for hierarchy name then all future reports will also be matched.

Thanks,

Amar

0 Kudos