VMware Cloud Community
dalidavila
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Storage Tiering at vcloud director and chargeback, rate factor doesnt apply

Hi,

I configured the rate factor into the storage Tier profile at "infraestructure cost" option, and when I run a report at vDC level the rate factor is ignored and replaced with "1". but when I run the report at vapp level the rate factor that I did configured is used, and when I run the report at vapp FOLDER level, the rate factor that I configured is considered too,  Smiley Sad

What could be happening? Obviusly this behavior is not desired for my Allocation or Reservation customer vDCs. where the cost must be calculated for the total chunk of resorces at vDC level, not at vapp level.

Please anyone that have an Idea?

Tier 0 -> Factor 1,5

Tier 1 -> Factor 0,75

Tier 2 -> Factor 0,2

nomenclature: vapp[consecutive inside the tier level]-t[tier level used]

VCDCC0 -> Uses Tier 0 and 1

VCDCC2 -> Uses Tier 2

vapp level.png

vapp folder level.png

vdc level.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dali_Davila
Contributor
Contributor

I had to change my account at MyVmware, but I still being me :smileyplain:, And this still being a question with no answer, dont even the people from support have the answer, they ask me to upgrade the chargeback from 2.5 to 2.6 to see if "maybe" the problem could be resolved. I did it and the problem still there.

0 Kudos
Nivetha
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Thanks for sharing a detailed description about the problem. Chargeback doesnt support profile based charging at the vDC level for ALLOCATION reports.

Hence it cannot apply different rate factors at this level. It applies the rate factor as 1 by default.

This happens only when we try to generate the ALLOCATION reports. At vDC level CBM gets the total allocation allotted to that vDC from vCloud and hence it does not take the allocations set at vm level.

In case of report generation it is always a top-down approach, if CBM sees an allocation set at the top level then it will ignore the below levels.

Thats the case when tried to generate reports at vapp folder level and vapp level it applies the rate factors.

Applying "EditInfrastructure cost" reflects the rate factors set, in USAGE reports rather than ALLOCATION based reports at vDC level.

This isnt a bug in CBM. We have found that so many Customers are in need of this feature for ALLOCATION based reports. So Engineering has internally raised a "Feature Request" to fix this in the upcoming release.

-Nivetha

0 Kudos