VMware Cloud Community
Savita
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configuring IP cost

Helllo,

we want to charge users for the numbers of IP they want to purchase but I am not seeing any way to configure such cost which varies depending on the number of item bought.

If I configure it in fixed cost it dosen't alllow me to define count of IPs. Nor its a part of computing resources.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pmasrani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Savita,

As I understand, your use case here is to charge for  the number of external IP addressed configured on a network. Also, you  want to charge for the IP addresses bought, and not on whether they got  used or not, i.e., whether some data transfer was happening on it or  not.

CBM cannot support this use case out of the box. This is  because CBM does not sync any data about the external IP addresses  configured on a network. That said, one of the following workarounds can  probably be used:

1) In CBM, a custom counter can be created for  IP addressed. The usage data for each network (i.e., the IP addresses  bought) needs to be fed to CBM using CBM API and set on this custom  counter. Charge can be set on this custom counter, based on this usage.

2)  VSM DC in CBM syncs the external network traffic per IP address for  each network. Thus, an entity is created in CBM, for all the IP  addresses used. Thus, another workaround can be, to set a charge on  count of 'IP addresses' types of entities on the network. This can be  done using CBM APIs. However, please note that this will only charge for  the IP addresses which get used, and not for unused but bought IP  addresses.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks,

Piyush

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think it depend on your purchase price.

Cheers, Udin

0 Kudos
Savita
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But my question is how to configure this price :-?

0 Kudos
pmasrani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Savita,

Is it a VCD-CBM environment where you want to charge for the number of external IP addresses configured in VCD for a network?

Thanks,

Piyush

0 Kudos
Savita
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats right Piyush. We are using it with vCloud Director.

0 Kudos
pmasrani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Savita,

As I understand, your use case here is to charge for  the number of external IP addressed configured on a network. Also, you  want to charge for the IP addresses bought, and not on whether they got  used or not, i.e., whether some data transfer was happening on it or  not.

CBM cannot support this use case out of the box. This is  because CBM does not sync any data about the external IP addresses  configured on a network. That said, one of the following workarounds can  probably be used:

1) In CBM, a custom counter can be created for  IP addressed. The usage data for each network (i.e., the IP addresses  bought) needs to be fed to CBM using CBM API and set on this custom  counter. Charge can be set on this custom counter, based on this usage.

2)  VSM DC in CBM syncs the external network traffic per IP address for  each network. Thus, an entity is created in CBM, for all the IP  addresses used. Thus, another workaround can be, to set a charge on  count of 'IP addresses' types of entities on the network. This can be  done using CBM APIs. However, please note that this will only charge for  the IP addresses which get used, and not for unused but bought IP  addresses.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks,

Piyush

0 Kudos
Savita
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Piyush!

0 Kudos