VMware Cloud Community
MikeZirbes
Contributor
Contributor

Chargeback DataCollector-Embeded Service not running or starting

I have successfully installed Chargeback on a Windows 2008 R2 (64bit) server with a second SQL2008SP1 database server. I am having problems with the embeded datacollector service. The service is not running when manually trying to start the service, windows reports that the service started then stopped because it had nothing to do.

I require some assistance with resolving the problem. Without the service running I can not complete the confugration of the application.

I have attached the logs.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
abhinavkatiyar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are DC logs missing in the attached zip file. Please zip \DataCollector-Embedded\logs folder and attach.

0 Kudos
MikeZirbes
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the dealy in getting the log to you. It did not exist at first.

0 Kudos
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I see the following error

:: 2010-05-27 10:45:57,467 ERROR util.JDBCExceptionReporter: This driver is not configured for integrated authentication.

:: 2010-05-27 10:45:57,467 ERROR util.JDBCExceptionReporter: This driver is not configured for integrated authentication.

This would occur if you are using windows authentication and the sqljdbc_auth.dll is missing

\jre\bin?

Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
MikeZirbes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

1. Yes I did install chargeback with windows authentication support.

2. The sqljdbc_auth.dll is present in C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Chargeback\jre\bin

Is that the correct location?

0 Kudos
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

This could be the same problem (msvcr71.dll not in path) as you faced. Please copy the dll into the system path and try restarting the data collector service.

We will get it documented in troubleshooting guide.

Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
MikeZirbes
Contributor
Contributor

I copied the msvcr71.dll file to the Windows directory. When I started the service I no longer received the windows message stating that the "service started then stopped... may not have work to perform". However the service returns to a stopped state within a few seconds. As a result I am unable to configure the data collector within the chargeback settings tab.

The windows Application log reports events:

ID 4096: Log Name: Application

Source: VMware vCenter Chargeback DataCollector-Embedded

Date: 6/2/2010 8:08:17 AM

Event ID: 4096

Task Category: None

Level: Information

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer:

Description:

Could not call the service method.

Log Name: Application

Event ID: 4096

Computer:

Description:

Failed to invoke the service start function.

Log Name: Application

Event ID: 4098

Computer:

Description:

The VMware vCenter Chargeback DataCollector-Embedded service failed to start.

0 Kudos
MikeZirbes
Contributor
Contributor

Performing an uninstall of chargeback and a reinstall with the configuration option to use SQL authentication has fixed the problems. I had to enable SQL authentication on the SQL server. For some reason chargeback did not work with Windows Authentication despite the claims in the release notes.

vCenter Chargeback 1.0.1 provides the following new features:

•Support for Windows Authentication

This release of vCenter Chargeback supports Windows Authentication for SQL Server databases. If you are using SQL Server for the vCenter Chargeback database or for the vCenter Server database, then you can configure the application to use Windows Authentication instead of SQL Authentication.

0 Kudos