VMware Cloud Community
osha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ChargeBack & oracle vCenter Database

My VirtualCenter server uses an oracle database and an ODBC datasource,

when i try to connect i get this error: unable to connect to the vCenter Database Server with the specified credentials

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Edit the ODBC settings, and see if you can login manually by testing. Someone changed the password, or something is wrong with the server.

0 Kudos
abhinavkatiyar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try connecting to your Oracle database through any remote client such as SQL Developer (http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/sql_developer/index.html) to check connection. If you are able to connect with that and not with vCenter Chargeback, there may be something wrong with Chargeback else the connection details you are providing.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
pmartinez83
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am using an SQL DB for vCenter and getting same error when trying to add vCenter to Chargeback...

vCenter DB is the default SQL Express Edition... when testing using ODBC it shows "test successfull"...

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo.

0 Kudos
HemanthPannem
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Please make sure that the vCenter Server DB parameters are specified correctly.

vCenter Server Display Name: Any user defined name to identify vCenter server in the Chargeback.

Database URL: DB server IP address\. For example: 1.2.3.4\SQLEXP_VIM

Database name: vCenter server database name. For example: VIM_VCDB

Authentication Type: Credential based Authentication which means using SQL server authentication.

Database user name: Database user name for SQL server authentication. For example: sa

Database Password: Password for the database user.

Chargeback uses JDBC and TCP/IP connections. Please make sure that vCenter server DB is accessible through TCP/IP.

1. Maybe in the 'SQL Server Network Configuration' the TCP/IP protocol is disabled. TCP/IP needs to be enabled. (You need to restart the SQL server services after enabling it.)

2. If you are using 'Instance name' (e.g 10.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS) while connecting to the SQL database, then 'SQL Server Browser' service should be running.

3. Please make sure the remote connections are enabled for SQL server.

4. One way to check would be to try connection with SQL Server Client (i.e. SQL server management studio: it's a client from Microsoft.). With this, you can try connecting to the same SQL database, from the machine on which you installed Chargeback server.

Please let us know if you still have the issue.

Regards,

Hemanth

troyprouty
Contributor
Contributor

Chargeback user guide doesn't clearly call out that "Credential Based Authentication" really means "SQL Server Authentication".  It also doesn't explain that "Windows Authentication" means only through the service account used for installing chargeback.  See my reply to a similar post for more details:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1814006#1814006

0 Kudos