VMware Cloud Community
MauricioMoya_So
Contributor
Contributor

CB: Can't get the hierachy from the vCloud

I install the CB and y atache 3 vcenters adn vCloud.
They are all running.

2128412_1.png2128412_2.png

But dont get the hierarchy's from vCloud...Just get 2 and one deleted hierarchy. And we have almost 70 org in the vcloud (this is attached to 2 vcenters: 41A and 41B)
And dont show the VM's to!

2128412_3.png.

If i see the vcenters hierarchy i can see all. Datacenters, Host, Pools, vm's !

Someone can help with this?        

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pmasrani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Is the VCD installation quite old and CBM is freshly installed? Which versions of VCD and CBM are you using?

CBM 2.0.1 or lower syncs the VCD inventory based on events generated in VCD. If the VCD installation is old, it might have a lot of events, and syncing all of these events takes time. Depending upon the number of events already happened in VCD, it might take days for the first sync to finish, if CBM is freshly installed.

Also, in CBM, VM and non-VM events are processed in separate cycles, hence, VMs will start appearing only after the sync of non-VM entities is complete.

Can you please provide the output of the following commands, so that we can figure out if this is the issue?

Run against VCD DB:

select value from config where name = 'database.isInitialized';

select count(*) from cb_event_list_raw_view;

Run against CBM DB:

select SERVER_PROPERTY_VALUE from CB_SERVER_PROPERTY where SERVER_PROPERTY_NAME = 'cbEventListRawView.lastProcessTime';

select * from CB_SERVER_PROPERTY where SERVER_PROPERTY_NAME like 'vcLastProcessTime-%';

Thanks,

Piyush

0 Kudos
MauricioMoya_So
Contributor
Contributor

Piyush,

Thanks for annswer.

I'm using:

VCD 1.5.1 now (we start with 1 then 1.5 and now 1.5.1)

CBM, I installed the 2.0.1 (because im using vcenter 5)  -> Installed this week (monday).

The result of the query's are:

For the VCD DB:

2128412_4.png

for the CBM DB:

Thanks,

Regards
Mauricio

0 Kudos
pmasrani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mauricio,

From the query results, I can see that your VCD installation was done on Oct 13, 2010.

By any chance, had you followed the KB article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200753...? I believe you have not, but just wanted to confirm.

I am asking this question becuase: if you have not followed this KB article I believe CBM 2.0.1 will not be very helpful for you.

Reason:

CBM syncs the VCD inventory through events. These events are retained in VCD for a default period of 365 days. Hence, if the above KB is not followed to change the retention period to more than 365 days, events older than 365 will be deleted in VCD. In such a setup, CBM will not be able to sync to the current state of the VCD inventory, due to missing events.

Following the KB now will also not be of any help, as some of the events will already have been deleted, and will not be restored on followign the KB.

However, this issue does not exist for fresh CBM 2.5 used with VCD 5.1. Fresh CBM 2.5 has the capability to sync directly to the current  inventory snapshot of VCD 5.1, without syncing the complete history of  events. Please note that fresh CBM 2.5 installation is required, as CBM  upgraded to 2.5 will not be able to perform this task. Also, VCD has to  be 5.1, since this functionality is not available for VCD 1.5/1.5.1.

Please  note that such a fresh CBM 2.5 setup with VCD 5.1 will be able to  charge correctly from the time it got installed.

Hence, my recommendation will be to upgrade VCD to 5.1 and use fresh CBM 2.5 with it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Piyush

MauricioMoya_So
Contributor
Contributor

Piyush,

Thanks a lot for your help.

But in the KB said that The issue of vCloud Director events not getting processed because of parents events getting purged after 365 days is fixed in the vCenter Chargeback 1.6.2 release for all entity types except network entities. And im in 2.0.1.

I will see what happen with the KB.

Again thanks!

Mauricio

0 Kudos
pmasrani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mauricio,

I agree with you that the statement you mentioned is misleading. The basic assumption is that VCD and CBM are installed together, or CBM is installed in a few days after VCD, not after a huge delay like 365 days. Before 1.6.2, even if VCD and CBM were installed on the same day, deletion of old events was affecting CBM. This was because processing of some events was dependent not only on that event but on some past events as well, and hence, complete history of the events was necessary for processing current event. In CBM 1.6.2, this was fixed, i.e., an event once processed was not required again in future while processing any other event except for network entities.

However, if CBM installation itself happens after more than 365 days, event processing will get affected due to missing events as the missing events didn't get a chance to get processed even once in CBM.

Hope that clarifies.

Also, to re-iterate, following the KB now will also not be of any help, as some of the  events will already have been deleted, and will not be restored on  following the KB.

Thanks,

Piyush

0 Kudos