VMware Cloud Community
MrLINK
Contributor
Contributor

Add / Edit Computing Resources

Hi!

I'm working with CP APIs and I have to readout several values (usage report).

I need some positions which are not viewed at "Configure Cost" ("-> Edit Entity Cost). For Example, I need an usage report with (in addition to the default positions) a distinction between hdd gold / hdd silver and number of VMs.

Here is a picture to clarify what I'm talking about Smiley Wink

Unbenannt.PNG

Best Regards

7 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I think you should be using Storage Tiers.

You'll need to setup a few tiers, assign the datastores to the tiers, then create a rate multiplier on the given tier.

Therefore your rate factor will depend on the Storage Tier and not this screen capture.  Also, the rate factors are only for Cost Reports (last I checked and could be wrong).

Storage Tiers are only in the more recent versions of Chargeback.

I'd have to look into this, to see if you can have a report that has Only Storage Tier Silver vs Storage Tier Gold.  I think the reports do all children of the requested point in the hierarchy.

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos
MrLINK
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply!

Sorry for the long response time, but there was a lot of work to be done Smiley Happy

You mentioned storage tiers, which were set in vCloud Director, right? You can set storage tiers each provider datacenter, but we have only one. So far, we determine the storage type manually like SAS 25 nad 26 -> silver, SAS 30 -> gold. Is that what you are talking about?

Just another question: Is it possible to get the average number of VMs used at a certain time range? Creating a usage report with "Pay As You Go" model only gives me the current number of VMs.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

There is also a storage tiers feature of Chargeback to bill based on which Datastore the VMs live.  This was introduced in Chargeback 2.0, and here is the relevant release note:

Tier-based storage costing
vCenter Chargeback Manager lets you define storage tiers and configure cost on the tiers. All the datastores under a tier will be charged uniformly as per the cost configuration settings on the tier. You can also include VM storage profiles in a tier. The storage profiles defined in vSphere are synchronized and the datastores are automatically grouped according to their storage profiles. The cost configuration defined on a profile is applied on all the datastores that match the storage profile. Similarly, the cost configuration defined on a tier is applied to all the datastores or storage profiles added to the tier.

This should be in the User's Guide on how to configure it.

As for average VM count, I don't think that's in Chargeback.  We just provide usage based on what was actually happening.

MrLINK
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, that helps! Smiley Happy

Thank you!

PS: Are you sure that a average VM value is not supported?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

In your first post you were asking for average VM Count ... now Average VM Value ...

Chargeback will report on a VM if has anything to report.  The idea is that a VM would consume resources (usage) then would be billed for the usage.  This makes a VM either show or not show, rather than making some sort of average.  If the VM exists in a time period, then it would report.

If you wanted to do something like this, you would have to make a custom integration ... say via the APIs.  You could generate 1 report per day for an entire hierarchy, then see which are powered on/off.  But I am still not sure if that'll work.

0 Kudos
MrLINK
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for my improper clarification. I mean an average value of existing VMs between an given time persiod (month).

I'll then create a report each day.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dokushinno
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I know this is an old thread. My apologies for reviving this.

However, i think this is related to my question: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/462201

You mentioned about Tier-based storage costing, can I do this via the 2.5 API?

Thanks.

0 Kudos