VMware Communities
Lippolt
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 11 fast encryption, password autogenerate and use of guest on a different machine

Your Windows 11 plans for the future:

Fast Encryption 

With the new ‘fast encryption’ mode, only the most critical parts of the virtual machine’s local storage space are encrypted, dramatically improving overall VM performance but providing a secure enclave for sensitive data such as a TPM device. Fast Encryption can be enabled for all VM types from the VM Settings. > Encryption window, or during the New VM walkthrough.

Encryption Key Auto-Generate and Store

To enhance the new fast encryption model, Workstation can auto-generate a password for the user, and the local keychain is used by default to store the encryption key, relieving the user from having to type it in whenever their VM boots.

I still have a problem with the planned scenarios for Windows 11:

as far as I understand it, I can either create a normal, completely encrypted guest, for which I know the password, but have to enter it at every startup, or I use the autogenerated password which is stored in the local key store, in which case I don't have to enter this password every time, but don't know it either.

What will happen if in the second case I want to copy the guest to another computer and start it there? I don't know the password, and I can't get to the password in the initial local keystore. So I have no chance to use the guest on another computer.

I would find it extremely nice if the autogenerated password would be displayed at least once during generation, so that you can save it if necessary. After transferring the guest to another computer, it should be possible to store the memorized password in the local keystore on the new computer.

So far my questions to the topic. Are there possibly other solutions to use the fast encryption without having to enter the password every time and still be able to transport the guest machine to another computer as usual for VMware guests?

Many thanks,
Peter

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Storing the password in the system credential manager, and auto-generating the password are discrete operations.

As such, you should be able to specify your own password instead of auto-generating one.

I'm not sure if you'll be asked to add the password to the credential manager on the 2nd PC tho... I think the workflow is tied to the new VM installation and 'add encryption' walkthroughs.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos