VMware Communities
hanness_rdu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to remove a virtual disk from a Win 10 VM in Workstation Tech Preview

I don't recall having this issue in the past, but I'm finding that I cannot delete virtual disks from a VM in Tech Preview. Only difference from normal is that I have encryption turned on for this VM. Is that possibly the cause of the issue?

Here is the scenario:

VM is a Windows 10 VM. The Windows virtual disk is an NVMe drive. I added two drives to this VM. When adding a drive the wizard recommends SCSI for the disk so that is what I selected.

Now, I want to remove these two added drives, however, in the GUI the "Remove" button is greyed out.

Am I simply missing something here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you decrypt the VM, does the 'remove' button become clickable?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you decrypt the VM, does the 'remove' button become clickable?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
hanness_rdu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Michael,

Thank you. Yes, ultimately, decrypting did resolve the issue. I had some other issues along the way, possibly a corrupted VM because several operations on that particular VM caused hangs and crashes of VMware. One example was this:

Image1A.jpg

Ultimately, I ended up creating a new Win 10 VM. No more crashes or hangs. With encryption I was not able to remove the added drives, but once I decrypted the VM I was able to add and remove disks with no problem.

I'm trying new things to really hammer on the Tech Preview, so this was simply something I was not aware of. Apologies if I've sent you on a wild goose chase.

0 Kudos