VMware Workspace ONE Community
phongshader
Contributor
Contributor

win desktop custom attributes

I want to create a custom attribute on a win10 endpoint and I'm a little confused. I've created many macOS custom attributes and they all work great. What I want to do is get info on all of our win endpoints to see if a process is running and return a value. I've created a batch script that does that but I don't see a way to incorporate that into a win custom attribute.

@ECHO OFF

::find process

QPROCESS "Service.exe">NUL

IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (echo "OK") ELSE (echo "ERROR-%ComputerName%")

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
AaronWhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use custom attributes for a lot of things on Windows devices. You need to create an XML on the device that tells the WS1 agent where to look and what attribute to assign it against. Here is a link that might be useful.

Custom Attributes, WinDesk

JosueNegron
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

AaronWhittaker​ provided you with the info needed to do custom attributes. Custom Attributes for Windows very different than macOS, it's not as flexible.

I would keep an eye out for the newly announced Sensors and Scripts for macOS and Windows devices. There is a VMworld session which covers Freestyle and some of these new resources: Landing page

We support Sensors for Windows today, but in order to see the values, you will need to opt-in to Intelligence. If you want to take automated actions based on the values, like tagging a device or installing a profile, then you will need to have the Intelligence add-on. Many Sensor samples are hosted here: https://via.vmware.com/SensorSamples

Free feel connect with me to stay up-to-date on the latest Windows content: Josué Negrón's posts on VMware Digital Workspace Tech Zone

0 Kudos
phongshader
Contributor
Contributor

So with the current incarnation of WSOne without Intelligence there is no way to get info about a running process and return a value ala macOS custom attirbutes? This is a first, something actually works better on a Mac than Windows in WSOne!! 😉

0 Kudos
JosueNegron
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just to be clear, it can be done, it's just much cleaner to leverage Sensors. Also please note, that Workspace ONE Intelligence Reports are included with all Workspace ONE Editions, you just have to opt-in to using Intelligence. Dashboards, Automations, etc. require an add-on or higher edition of Workspace ONE.

Workaround for Process Status using Custom Attributes

1. Use a Sensor to report the process status to a Reg Key. You can have the Sensor run on a schedule or based on a trigger.
  2. Setup a custom attribute to pull the value from the Reg Key, which will be reported to the UEM console.

But yes, agree that custom attributes are better on macOS. I also am extremely jealous that macOS has the hub-cli feature built into the Hub!

0 Kudos
dizquierdo21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I got some question about your answer. I've already create the XML file and send it to the device with products, but the thing is that I don't get the value key as a custom attribute.
I'm leaving the file in this path C:\Program Files (x86)\Airwatch\AgentUI\Cache\Profiles

We already send once a XML with this method and work great, but I worried that only works when there is a single XML file and no more, as I want it. It's that correct?

The other question is, it's there a way that I can force reload of the custom attributes? I've already tried query the device and also rebooting the device, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks and sorry for my english, it's been a while I don't practice my writing!

0 Kudos