VMware Workspace ONE Community
guru05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmWare Horizon Workspace- Changing port number

Hi Guys,

I installed vmware horizon workspace as a proof of concept everything works well. I am now in the process of making the gateway public. The problem with that is the port number (443) that the gateway is using cannot be put on public as it clashes with some of our other things. I was wondering since everything is installed and working properly what would be the correct way of changing the GATEWAY port number?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sravuri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, in 1.0, we don't allow changing the port number.

Will you be able to upgrade to 1.5? Then, we allow changing the FQDN name and port.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
sravuri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which version of Horizon Workspace are you using?

0 Kudos
guru05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Its Workspace 1.0

0 Kudos
sravuri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, in 1.0, we don't allow changing the port number.

Will you be able to upgrade to 1.5? Then, we allow changing the FQDN name and port.

0 Kudos
guru05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
guru05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sravuri,

I have the 1.5 workspace installed ( upgraded from 1.0) I am trying to open the 8443 port on the gateway. I added the new rules to the iptables. Tried to telnet through my local machine on to gateway 8443 ... connection denied. 443 just works fine. 

Used nmap after adding the rules to the iptable it shows 8443/tcp closed https-alt. So i figure I might as well restart my vm; after doing so my iptables had reset back to there previous state so no 8443 entries.

Any idea on how to go about this? We want to access the gateway at port 8443 rather than 443

thank you

0 Kudos
sravuri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would like to understand the use case better. Why are you trying to open the 8443 port? Do you want to run horizon workspace on 8443? Or are you trying to install other monitoring agents?

0 Kudos
guru05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trying to run horizon gateway on port 8443 instead of 443. All our ips are using 443 its either we buy more ips or push horizon gateway vm to 8443.

Thank you

0 Kudos
sravuri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It may just be easier to set up a simple load balancer like Apache at 8443 or something and forward the requests to horizon workspace gateway VA at 443

0 Kudos
guru05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I added another iptable rule where trying to connect to 8443 is redirected to 443. We are doing this so we can externally access the gateway .

Now everytime I try to access the gateway I get taken to "Download the view client page"

Any idea why this may be happening?

Thank you

0 Kudos
DDunaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am trying to accomplish the same thing.

I am running Workspace in a lab with many other systems that use 443.

I have a reverse proxy in place, but it only supports HTTPS on the front end and translates to HTTP internally.

I have been reading that HTTPS by nature does not work well with reverse proxies.

It would be great to be able to change workspace to HTTP just for testing purposes.

I am currently running 1.5 and I am not able to change the FQDN to http or port 80. It seems as if the configuration only allows SSL.

0 Kudos
Schenkewitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't think you will get Workspace to run with HTTP on port 80 internally. VMware designed Workspace with full integration of SSL usage. If VMware wanted their customers to use Workspace with HTTP on port 80 there would be an configuration possibility at the configuration wizard as an alternative to configuration of HTTPS, Cert, CA Cert, Private Keys, etc.

DDunaway schrieb:

I am trying to accomplish the same thing.

I am running Workspace in a lab with many other systems that use 443.

I have a reverse proxy in place, but it only supports HTTPS on the front end and translates to HTTP internally.

I have been reading that HTTPS by nature does not work well with reverse proxies.

It would be great to be able to change workspace to HTTP just for testing purposes.

I am currently running 1.5 and I am not able to change the FQDN to http or port 80. It seems as if the configuration only allows SSL.

When you run workspace in your lab, why you have any problems with multiple services on HTTPS port 443? Do you publish your lab external? If not you can configure split dns and point the external FQDN on your internal ip adress so you should be fine and your workspace install should work and reachable on your internal network over the external FQDN.

0 Kudos