VMware Workspace ONE Community
RussBurden
Contributor
Contributor

macOS BYOD enrolled as iOS

All,

I have created a device in UEM and assigned it to a user,  the device platform is set to Apple macOS, and on a third attempt, I even went into the advanced settings and set the type and OS.

(FYI, this is a Catalina 10.15.1 VM)

Every time I enroll using the hub,  when I check the UEM console, my device appears as an iOS device (assiged to ios-byod group we have) and of course it recieves the wrong profiles as well.  It has to be something small I'm missing, does anyone have any idea of where to look or why enrollment picks up this VM as an iOS device when it's clearly a macOS?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

RussBurden​ -- You need to edit the VMX for your VM to make it "appear" as a macOS device.   In particular, these lines should be what you modify (don't just blindly paste - I believe the board-id.reflecthost is generally set to True by default in the VMX).  

hw.model = "MacBookPro11,5"

hw.model.reflectHost = "FALSE"

smbios.reflectHost = "FALSE"

serialNumber = "SERIALNUMBER"

serialNumber.reflectHost = "FALSE"

board-id = "Mac-ABCDEFGHIJK01234"

board-id.reflectHost = "FALSE"

If you need to need to find these values, you can get them from terminal:

ioreg -l | awk '/product-name/ { split($0, line, "\""); printf("%s\n", line[4]); }'

ioreg -l | awk '/IOPlatformSerialNumber/ { split($0, line, "\""); printf("%s\n", line[4]); }'

ioreg -lp IOService | awk '/board-id/ { split($0, line, "\""); printf("%s\n", line[4]); }'

RussBurden
Contributor
Contributor

Are you saying WS1 is reading those values from the virtual machine virtual hardware.

I also never said it was a VMware VM, so if this is actually the case, I need to figure out the same for the platform I am using.  I figured it would read the is version, something from the software, not the hardware.

0 Kudos
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

RussBurden​ - it's not necessarily WS1 reading those values from the VM, it's actually the other way around -- the VM sends those values to Workspace ONE.  More specifically, macOS generates those values based on the "hardware" presented to the OS by the hypervisor, and then those values are sent to WS1 during the authenticate step in the MDM protocol:    AuthenticateRequest - Device Management | Apple Developer Documentation​.  Hope that helps clarify what is going on behind the scenes.