VMware Workspace ONE Community
PatriciaGoncalv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

install UAG in bare metal is possible?

I have a client who insists on not installing UAG ovf on hypervisor, does anyone know if I can install on bare metal?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ralbertodacu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello PatriciaGoncalves​,

The documentation mentions using vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client to deploy the OVF. That suggests that they expect you to have a vCenter server running somewhere and not just ESXi.

It would probably be best to confirm it with your Account Exec and/or the VMware Support team beforehand.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I highly doubt it, and it may be quicker to ask support. The whole UAG design is if its broken throw it away, so why would you be able to install it on bare metal? Plus there is no installation media outside of an ovf so you would have to do a wierd backwards v2p conversion.

ralbertodacu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you are looking for VMware Tunnel, there's a Linux version: VMware Tunnel Deployment on a Linux Server

There isn't anything out-of-the-box to install UAG on bare metal. Even if you manage to somehow install it, it will not be an officially supported configuration.

Having said that, I would definitely NOT recommend trying that on a client's environment as they will probably not get support should something go wrong.

If they are not willing to use vSphere, there is also the option to install it on a Windows Server using Hyper-V.

Reference:

System Requirements for Deploying VMware Tunnel with Unified Access Gateway

PatriciaGoncalv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ralbertodacu, Thanks for the reply, but what I need is the content gateway.

I thought about installing the free version of vsphere and installing UAG in it, would you know if that would influence in case of need for support after UAG?

0 Kudos
ralbertodacu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello PatriciaGoncalves​,

The documentation mentions using vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client to deploy the OVF. That suggests that they expect you to have a vCenter server running somewhere and not just ESXi.

It would probably be best to confirm it with your Account Exec and/or the VMware Support team beforehand.