VMware Workspace ONE Community
markdp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iPhone Location Device has not reported any location data to AirWatch.

Hi

I have noticed recently that when checking the location of iPhones on airwatch we randomly get ' Device has not reported any location data to AirWatch.'   This is on devices that were reporting location then for some reason stop. We have found that reinstalling the Hub fixes this but it soon comes back. I have checked all the GPS settings etc and everything seem correct. The devices are checking in as they should too but location does not report. Any ideas or is there a way to force this remotely on IOS

thanks
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cloudmaster2017
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Settings>HUB>Location>Always

I would think this would always allow it, but it seems it needs you to go in and click sync for it to report back to the console.  Anybody else with a different experience?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is just the way iOS works. GPS is unreliable as iOS does not allow the Hub to stay alive in the background forever to report location. Working as designed!
0 Kudos
cloudmaster2017
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Settings>HUB>Location>Always

I would think this would always allow it, but it seems it needs you to go in and click sync for it to report back to the console.  Anybody else with a different experience?
sturmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have HUB location services working for our iOS devices.  The HUB stays in the foreground and devices report after significant movement.  It does not use GPS.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corelocation/getting_the_user_s_location/using_the_signifi...
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As Luke mentioned the Hub must be running and if put in the background will eventually not be reporting. The user is also warned the Hub is using Location Services and they can turn Location Services off. The Hub will never report location data if Location Services is disabled. Managed Lost Mode will report location data for supervised devices without the Hub installed or even with Location Services disabled.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mdm/managed-lost-mode-iorb0f639322/web
0 Kudos
cloudmaster2017
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In settings I have always allow HUB to track location.  But it's not honoring that, until I launch HUB and then click sync.  Most users don't click sync, but you would think if ' always allow location'  at least once every 24 hours HUB would send an update to the console of current GPS coordinates. 

I agree some users can and have turned off location, however in this case with my phone it was not and I verified the current setting on the device itself.

I have opened a case to see what Airwatch says.
0 Kudos
sturmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Console Settings we have configured.

Devices & Users > Privacy
- GPS Data (we use Collect Do Not Display)

Devices & Users > Apple > Apple iOS > Intelligent Hub Settings
- General > Minimum Refresh interval > 15 minutes
- Area > Collect Location Data
- SDK Profile V2 > iOS Default Settings @ Global

Devices & Users > Apple > MDM Sample Schedule
- MDM Hub Sample > 6 hours
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Claude, How do you get users to keep the Hub in the foreground?
0 Kudos
sturmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

They have to launch HUB after a reboot or low power.  We also have a HUB compliance rule looking for compromised status every 10 days.  With the minimum refresh interval and significant movement, it keeps the HUB in the foreground.

Our enrollment email for DEP devices recommends that they opt-in to location services and to always allow the HUB to use it.  We have over a 65% opt-in for this.
We do not TRACK users with the location but only allow our corporate emergency security team the location data for locating users in the event of an emergency.
0 Kudos
alex17pat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this forced quit the find my or messages app on iPhone.

0 Kudos