VMware Workspace ONE Community
JohnTamietti
Contributor
Contributor

iPhone 6 - Unable to connect to server

I have one device an iPhone 6 that will not connect to the MS Exchange server to sync email.  I have tried using another phone and I am able to sync email.  I have uninstalled and also cleared the cache of the iPhone and still no luck.  The iPhone is running the latest version of IOS 12.1.2.  Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonathanQue
Contributor
Contributor

Try taking a look at the Exchange Active Sync in ECP, the device could be blocked.
0 Kudos
JohnTamietti
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Jonathan for the reply.  I did check that and his device was not listed.  I did find my phone listed, which I was using to test email sync email as a troubleshooting step.  I originally was thinking it was an Exchange problem, but it works fine on my iPhone.
0 Kudos
KonstantinosLei
Contributor
Contributor

I assume you are using PowerShell integration with O365? If so, here is what you can do:

Step 1: Search for the device in your AirWatch console under ' Email > List view'  and check if it appears as ' Blocked' . If so, select it and click ' Actions > Default' . Give it a minute or two and try to sync email. If this does not work, note the EAS ID of the device and proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Launch PowerShell, connect to your Exchange server (or O365 environment) and look for the device based on the email address of the user it has been enrolled for using the following command replacing #email# with the user's email address:

Get-CasMailbox #email# | FL

Check if the ActiveSyncEnabled field is set to True, if it is, proceed to Step 3. If not, issue the following command replacing #email# with the user's email address:

Set-CASMailbox -Identity #email# -ActiveSyncEnabled $true

Give it a minute or two and try to sync email. If this does not work, proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: Look for the ' ActiveSyncAllowedDeviceIDs'  and ' ActiveSyncBlockedDeviceIDs'  fields in the result of the ' Get-CasMailbox #email# | FL'  command. If you find the device's EAS ID in the ' ActiveSyncAllowedDeviceIDs'  field then that's a good first indication. If not, it needs to be added manually by issuing the following command replacing #email# with the user's email address and #device id# with the device's EAS ID:

Set-CASMailbox #email# -ActiveSyncAllowedDeviceIDs @{Add = ' #device id#' }

If the device's EAS ID also appears in the ' ActiveSyncBlockedDeviceIDs'  field then you need to remove it by issuing the following command replacing #email# with the user's email address and #device id# with the device's EAS ID:

Set-CASMailbox #email# -ActiveSyncAllowedDeviceIDs @{Remove = ' #device id#' }

I wrote the above by heart so I hope I did not make any mistakes. Let me know if it helped.

Kind regards
Konstantinos

0 Kudos
JohnTamietti
Contributor
Contributor

Konstantinos,  thanks for the reply.  I will give it a try and let you know.  I did not see any blocked devices, but will try and add it manually and see if it will start syncing.
0 Kudos
KonstantinosLei
Contributor
Contributor

Hey John. Not listed as Blocked is a good thing but unless it is listed as Allowed in PowerShell, it won't sync. It is not uncommon to have a discrepancy between what you see in the AirWatch console and in PowerShell. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes 🙂

Kind regards
Konstantinos

0 Kudos
JohnTamietti
Contributor
Contributor

Konstantinos, I had them look at Email > List view and the device or user is not showing under this list.  We also noticed that there are a few others that still get email that are not in this list as well.  Are we missing something?
0 Kudos
KonstantinosLei
Contributor
Contributor

Hey John. I have seen this before so don't be surprised. When was the last time you triggered the ' Sync Mailboxes'  action? (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1810/vmware-airwatch-guides-1810/GUID-AW1810-Man...). Also, how many devices do you have in your organization?
0 Kudos