VMware Workspace ONE Community
herooftheday316
Contributor
Contributor

iOS Updates Management

Hello

We are currently trying to force all users to be at version 13.5 of iOS. We have tried a compliance profile but management is reticent to cripple user devices too much.

I have added a test device with 13.4 to an assignment group that installs 13.6

It does have a passcode.

When the download is finished and I try to force the update via Workspace One I get the error "An error occured installing iOS 13.6"

I was under the impression, I as the user, would be prompted for my passcode to begin the installation. Is that not the case?

According to Apple there is an MDM command to defer the update 4 times and then force it on the last time.

Does anyone have this working? In it's current state the Install command is limited if it can only work on devices with no passcode.

Thank you

Mike

Labels (2)
9 Replies
MarkSchwantje
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure how much this will help, but after working with Apple on clarifying how managed iOS updates work, I wrote up this summary:

Options for pushing out OS updates using an MDM *:

1. Download/Install the software update (Default): The update is downloaded and staged to be installed overnight. The user will see a dialogue box indicating that an update will be installed later that night. If there is a change to the terms and conditions, they will also receive a prompt to enter their passcode. A badge in “Settings” will indicate that an update is available for installation.
  2. Download the software update but do not install it (DownloadOnly): The update is downloaded silently. The user sees a notification in “Settings” that an update is available.
  3. Install an already downloaded software update (InstallASAP): If the update is already downloaded, this command will cause the update to start immediately. If terms and conditions have changed, the user will be prompted to enter their passcode before the installation starts and the device is restarted.

*On iOS 13.x, there are currently 2 issues associated with using an MDM to push OS updates:

1. When the DownloadOnly option is selected, the update will become unavailable if the user goes to Settings – General – Update to view the update. This is supposed to be resolved in iOS 14.
  2. If any of the above options are used on a device that has Automatic Updates enabled, the command will fail to execute. This is an intermittent issue. This is supposed to be resolved in iOS 14.
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Great summary! Quick question on 'Download/Install the software update (Default)'. Is Apple saying that if I push the command at 1 pm, it won't get executed until late at night?

0 Kudos
MarkSchwantje
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The download should start within a short time after initiating the command, but the actual install won't occur until later that night.

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks. Was this documented in any VMware KB? Or just internal knowledge?

0 Kudos
MarkSchwantje
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not aware of any VMware KB regarding this. What I provided was based entirely on the ticket I opened with Apple after we complained to our account manager about the lack of clarity on how iOS updates actually work.

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks for sharing this important information. I agree it's very frustrating at times when so little is shared with us as customers.

0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did support ever tell you if this was resolved in iOS 14?

0 Kudos
MarkSchwantje
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you're asking me regarding the 2 issues I brought up earlier this month, the engineer stated that they should be resolved in iOS 14.

0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can report partial success the download and install commands now work but the download and install command instead of installing overnight failed once during the day then installed during the day without prompting, certainly progress but not something usable for mass updating

0 Kudos