VMware Workspace ONE Community
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iOS - Delete built in/default apps onDEP/VPP managed device

Is there a method to automatically uninstall the default/built-in apps on an iOS device once it enrolls if it's fully DEP managed? 
I do this manually now and while it isn't a huge issue it's a bit time consuming to uninstall all of the apps and rearrange the desktop view the way I'd like it when I'm deploying new devices.
Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tkElevatorCanad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't know that you can uninstall them but you can definitely hide them. As part of a Restrictions profile you can specify which apps to show or hide. If you create one and assign it to your devices this should accomplish the first thing that you mentioned. There is also a Home Screen Layout profile that can help with apps into the pages (and I believe folders) as you would like for deployment consistency.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tkElevatorCanad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't know that you can uninstall them but you can definitely hide them. As part of a Restrictions profile you can specify which apps to show or hide. If you create one and assign it to your devices this should accomplish the first thing that you mentioned. There is also a Home Screen Layout profile that can help with apps into the pages (and I believe folders) as you would like for deployment consistency.

0 Kudos
EricPlent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

+1 on this. I have implemented app hiding for one of our specialized use cases and it worked very well. I was able to hide everything the users did not need and use home screen layout profile to arrange everything nicely.
0 Kudos
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies.  Any pointers on how to start this process?  Is there a guide?  Can you share with me what you did step by step?  Again thanks!
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

https://support.workspaceone.com/solutions/SOL-2106 which points you to the iOS Platform Guide.
0 Kudos
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. Kind a figured it out. Hid the apps using the Hide Apps section in the restrictions portion of a profile. Wished this were broken out into a separate section as it would make it easier to add an additional profile to a device rather than modify the published profile and potentially cause havoc...

Anyone know how to find the Airwatch Catalog app in the list? Would like to add it to a folder called Airwatch using the Home Page section along with the Intelligent Hub.  Also anyone know the name of the Measure app for purposes of hiding?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just add another profile for hiding the app the most restrictive setting in each profile wins, you can have multiple restrictions profiles
0 Kudos
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.  Airwatch support informed me that the Catalog app isn't really an app but a web clip and can't be moved using the policy. 
Lots of good answers and good help for me in this thread but because Sterlyn answered first I'll award the correct answer click to that answer. 
0 Kudos