VMware Workspace ONE Community
StevinvanKeulen
Contributor
Contributor

WorkspaceOne UEM | Sync User Failed | UserUpdateFailed

Every day we receive an error in the Console event log from UEM, called: Sync User Failed.

This can be found in: Monitor > Reports and Analytics > Events > Console Events.

As soon as we click on the event data of the error called: Type: UserGroup, we get a window with the following information:

Type: UserGroup

Sourcre: Scheduler Data:

UserUpdateFailed: 996, 1411, 17, 1106, 971, 1413, 177, 1415, 953, 1221, 244, etc ..

These numbers are in fact ' users' . Something goes wrong with syncing the relevant users, but what? I have been in contact with VMware for months, but they too have not found a solution. Sometimes the message does not occur daily, but if we manually sync the Attributes at ' Directory Services'  under ' User'  we will also get this error reproduced.

Anyone with same experience/issue?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JimHruska
Contributor
Contributor

Approval Pending in User Groups or Directory Groups: Do you get this as well?

Cause: trying to sync a nonexistent Group from AD into AirWatch console

This will cascade to the rest of the groups and not allow full group sync for the rest

basically in series or waterfall for any groups after the ' broken'  one that will not allow a Successful Sync.

If a single User Group does not sync, then the entire process shows as Failed per AW design. We have raised this issue with AW many times and tried to get them to code around a single Group failure where the rest of the User Groups will continue to sync.

Double check if there are any User Groups in your AD that have been deleted in AD, and now your console is trying to sync that Group but it doesn't exists anymore.

Good Luck.
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Thanks for sharing Jim. In my case, I have a large number of users to sync and that's another reason why it was in pending approval state.
0 Kudos
StevinvanKeulen
Contributor
Contributor

We don't have groups in ' pending approval'  state.

I can confirm that all ' User Groups'  in UEM are also in the AD and sync normally.
As Thomas C. said: it's specifically a large list of users.

It's strange that UEM says in de error: ' UserUpdateFailed | Sync User Failed'  because...

Users, cannot be updated in UEM if you change it in the AD. You have to remove the user in UEM and then click on: ' Add Missing Users'  at the relevant User Group (to which the user is linked). Only then the change will come through in UEM. Not desirable / user-friendly if the user has connected a device...

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

What happened to us a lot is when users got married and changed their last name, or that users left the firm but came back later after their accounts were marked 'inactive' in AD and AirWatch. What a mess!

I do think both of you for creating this thread as I didn't know until yesterday that I had over 3600 pending changes before a rollout!
0 Kudos
StevinvanKeulen
Contributor
Contributor

If you change an attribute in the AD and you sync the ' attributes'  in UEM, should the user be adjusted! I just reproduced this in a test environment.
(Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Enterprise Integration > Directory Services > User > Advanced >  Sync Attributes)

We are dealing with an error in UEM or the CloudConnector. We will patch UEM to the latest version and install the CloudConnector again. Possibly the sync problem has been solved then.
0 Kudos
PeterMarkBates
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get this resolved?  I have exactly the same issue.

0 Kudos
StevinvanKeulen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it has to do with duplicated user. As soon as one user is duplicated in UEM (based on UPN), the attribute cannot sync (With ALL users). You can read out which user (s) are duplicated by means of a query in the database. You can collect the queries from VMware support. Once you have found the dulicated user(s) in the database you can then look it up in UEM and delete it. After deleting you can sync the attributes and no error appears in the monitor.

0 Kudos