VMware Workspace ONE Community
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Workspace client in a non-persistent desktop pool?

Can the Workspace client be used in a non-persistent desktop pool? A couple of concerns I have with this:

- the location of the data cache. I don't want to sync every time I log on to a fresh desktop. I can change the path to a home-share on the network for example, but can this be done during installation or through GPO?

- When a user logs on to a desktop with a Workspace client, the desktop is linked to the user in Horizon Workspace. This obviously gives problems when a user logs on a new non-persistent desktop every time the user logs on. Desktops will be linked to multiple users and users will have multiple desktops linked. How can this be solved?

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It can but it is not optimized for this use case just yet..

In Horizon 1.0 Data will have to sync if you install the Horizon Agent on a VDI desktop. No way around that. So in order to at least sync only once per file you can redirect the "local" Horizon Data folder to a network share or a persistent disk. There is a registry key for this:

HCCU\Software\VMware, Inc.\Horizon Data\Folder (Reg_SZ) = a folder on a mapped drive, like a home drive or something else that is persistent.

There should be no issues with linking many computers. You are correct there will be a long list of devices but there is no limitation so it should all work.

We are working on many enhancements for future releases. This kind of feedback is crucial in deciding what features will be implemented when. Please, keep the feedback coming.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It can but it is not optimized for this use case just yet..

In Horizon 1.0 Data will have to sync if you install the Horizon Agent on a VDI desktop. No way around that. So in order to at least sync only once per file you can redirect the "local" Horizon Data folder to a network share or a persistent disk. There is a registry key for this:

HCCU\Software\VMware, Inc.\Horizon Data\Folder (Reg_SZ) = a folder on a mapped drive, like a home drive or something else that is persistent.

There should be no issues with linking many computers. You are correct there will be a long list of devices but there is no limitation so it should all work.

We are working on many enhancements for future releases. This kind of feedback is crucial in deciding what features will be implemented when. Please, keep the feedback coming.

0 Kudos