VMware Workspace ONE Community
jcorso1212
Contributor
Contributor

Workspace 2.1 Installation questions.

Hi,

Just went through the install (Deploy) of workspace 2.1 in vcenter on esx 5.5. The disks deploy. I can configure IP, DNS, etc... I can get to the login screen through the browser and can setup the user accounts. The problem is on the database side. As soon as it goes to the database tab of the install, I get to the point where it is asking for the activation code for the Workspace Connector. Where can this be retrieved?

Thanks

30 Replies
weda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got workspace 2.1 running with an FQDN portal.domain.com - and now got a problem when joining the connector into the domain. The Hostname of the connector (?) will be changed to an internal DNS name (portal.ad.domain.com), so I guess that is the problem. But in case i want to use the portal from external, I have to take the FQDN portal.domain.com. After Domainjoin of the controller, nothing works anymore. I can't login and I also can't configure the rest of the connector settings, f.e. like directory or synchronization. In workspace 2.0 that was no problem because the connector-va had it's own internal DNS Name and entry.

Do I have to install another connector? In 2.0 i got two connectors..

This documentation is rather useless. There is nothing explained.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should have a load balancer to which you point the external FQDN. LB is then passing traffic to your internal Workspace VM, using its internal hostname.

0 Kudos
weda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm already using an loadbalancer, and I already tried this solution. But as soon as I'm loggin into the Workspace portal, I'll be redirected to the internal hostname, which is of course not reachable for me from outside. I don't think that is the solution because in the documentation it says that the FQDN has to be the same as the URL from where the user access the portal... I really spent a lot of time on this, but have to cancel the update for now and keep on going with the 2.0 version.

0 Kudos
kzelenko
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Most likely you have the Kerberos (Windows) Authentication enabled for all users with the "redirect to itself" option checked. That would explain the redirection to internal hostname.

You would need to change the default policy to require Kerberos for internal users only. Or you can uncheck that "redirect to itself" checkbox on the kerberos authentication provider page and try again. 

0 Kudos
RaviChayanam
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When domain join changes the hostname and if you cant login to admin UI anymore, you need to perform a workaround as documented in release notes

Edit /etc/hosts and change a line that looks like this

127.0.0.1  portal.ad.domain.com portal localhost

To

127.0.0.1  portal.ad.domain.com portal portal.domain.com localhost

0 Kudos
weda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RaviChayanam - thank you, that was the solution. Next time reading first the "known issues" ... my false

0 Kudos
RaviChayanam
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Glad I could help. Please start a new thread if you face any more issues.

0 Kudos
jcorso1212
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

sorry, another question... really far along in this version of this test environment with a deployed web app of google apps. Next steps are to build a thinapp package and join the domain.

Problem on the domain join though. Dns error code: DNS_ERROR_BAD _PACKET. Message: A bad packet was received from a DNS Server. Potentially the requested address does not exist. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
BWightman
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That msg usually indicates you have entered an invalid domain.  Make sure you are entering just the domain (e.g. vmware.com) and not the FQDN of domain host itself.

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi got the same error also when using the FQDN for the domain, when however  I use the Netbios name it works.

When using the netbios name it prompts to change the hostname which I don't want to.

Surely it's something with my DNS/DC but I ran all tests and haven't found an error.

I checked all DNS records to see if there was a misconfiguration but van find any.

Any ideas are welcome..

Greetings

Rob

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

okay so the issues I was experiencing were due to a faulty DNS server that was acting up.

I fixed the DNS issues (my lab is like my head, a mess) and now configuration is quick and easy.

running into so stuff but nothing I can't cope with Smiley Happy

Greetings

Rob

0 Kudos