VMware Workspace ONE Community
TimothyDuongTim
Contributor
Contributor

What is 'Managed Productivity App' when configuring an Exchange Profile Android Enterprise?

What is this configuration trying to configure? I would like to understand what 'Managed Productivity App' is for, when applied to a device, the profile/app it's applying the config to is 'com.google.android.apps.work.pim'.

Is that Package Name even valid? The Gmail Exchange Profile for AE is for 'com.google.android.gm' which is the Gmail Application, I'm pretty sure VMware has abandoned 'Managed Productivity App' Trying to shed light on this!

Regards,

Timothy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CharlesTchia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Timothy, yes I've been trying to figure that out too. I assumed it to mean that if you make a mail client managed when published, this profile would apply for that app. however I tried samsung mail and outlook mail and nothing worked. I also asked AW Support and they didn't have an answer for me either.
0 Kudos
TimothyDuongTim
Contributor
Contributor

If you check the Exchange profiles deployed for each app they have a corresponding PackageName associated to apply the configuration keys accordingly.
I believe from an Android Enterprise perspective for 'Profiles' there's only really 'Gmail' App to deploy. 'Managed Productivity App' and 'AirWatch Inbox' seem to be deprecated products that are waiting to be removed in future versions of VMware Workspace ONE.

The current 'best-practice' method is to utilize Android Enterprise's AppConfig OEMConfig: https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2018/11/oemconfig.html

It's convenient but does not have the flexibility of profile configurations since some applications are not so easily installed, uninstalled and re-installed etc.

Profile Configurations are very specific and in the land of Android and different OEMs, that's a fragmented world so I can understand if that's the case...

Just tell me what 'Managed Productivity App' is!
0 Kudos
CharlesTchia
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya

So I'm told that ' Managed Productivity App'  is related to a old product called Divide Productivity back in Nov 2017. Information about the product is here: https://support.google.com/work/android/answer/7233351?hl=en.

I would like to use Outlook but there's no option for certificates
0 Kudos