VMware Workspace ONE Community
dhenriquez1
Contributor
Contributor

WS1 Script not running on macOS devices

I have a script assigned to a couple of test groups in our environment, but the script does not run for a few devices, while it does run for others. The script is set to "Run Once Immediately" and "Ever 4 hours"

Are there any specific rules for devices/groups that must be met for Scripts to run?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
almostIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Haven't tried Scripts for iOS yet, but on Windows the OS/Intelligent Hub version mattered before I could get a script to run. Make sure you're meeting all the system requirements for OS/Intelligent Hub. 

iOS 14+, UEM Console 2102+ as of 12/8/22 

0 Kudos
dhenriquez1
Contributor
Contributor

I've been running a few more tests, and noticed that devices that use automated enrollment for, do run the Scripts, but devices that I manually enroll through the app don't. The user group I use makes no difference, but the enrollment process does.

For example, I enrolled a device using automated enrollment from ABM, and the script ran. I then deleted the device from WS1, which unenrolled it, and then proceeded to re-enroll manually through the hub app. Script doesn't run anymore.

All other test devices I have used present similar behavior; manually enrolled devices don't pick up on the Script assigned, but automated enrolled do. Any suggestions?

I have a case open with VMWare support as well. We'll see what they say

0 Kudos
omruss
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have also had very limited success with scripts as well. I have one script that I created in August that consistently runs on devices. The ones that I have tried to create recently have not worked or they have worked on some devices and not others. Those same scripts that don't run as scripts can run as sensors on my devices which I know is not the preferred method since they are supposed to do two different things. I have a ticket open as well and I will post back on here if we can get a resolution. If you hear anything please update this post because it has been very frustrating to say the least. 

0 Kudos
cornevandyk
Contributor
Contributor

has anyone had feedback on their support tickets regarding this?

0 Kudos
dhenriquez1
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, scripts and workflows have continued to be an issue for me. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Last thing I found was this KB released by vmware regarding know issues with WS 2212. Apparently scripts aren't working in their most recent version:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/91698?lang=en_US&queryTerm=workflow%20engine%20for%20macos

0 Kudos
cornevandyk
Contributor
Contributor

sigh.

and that's exactly the version that I have, at least on 2 test devices.

0 Kudos
omruss
Contributor
Contributor

My support response was basically sometimes scripts work and sometimes they don't. I have been able to do many, not all,  of the things that I have wanted to do using Sensors which is much more consistent. Sensors works the way scripts should work which is why I don't understand why they can't get scripts to work. 

0 Kudos
cornevandyk
Contributor
Contributor

fyi the referenced KB has a resolution in version 22.12.0.10.

Once you have this workflow engine version it should work:

/usr/bin/defaults read /Library/Application\ Support/Workflow/WorkflowEngineMetadata.plist version

0 Kudos