VMware Workspace ONE Community
EdK2020
Contributor
Contributor

WS1 OG Inheritance Questions

I am somewhat new to WS1 and have 2 questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.  these are probably super easy, i'm just overlooking it somewhere.

First Question - Inheritance - I have my own OG that I'm managing that is inheriting things from the parent.  I've turned off most of the inherit by changing settings to override, but I cannot figure out why when I'm looking at certain parts of my OG I see everything from the parent.   It's silly probably - but:

1. I don't want to see all of the parent OG applications - there are a lot - and it clutters the view

2. I don't want to see all of the parent OG user accounts - the list view shows everyone - i only want to see my users

3. I don't want to see all of the parent OG device profiles - again - clutter

I don't see any parent devices - which is good

but I want to clean all of this other junk up!

Second Question - I'm doing Android Enterprise enrollment - and a screen appears on the device during enrollment prompting the user to select if it's a company device or a personal device - I really need to skip that and force them all into the company device path.  

How do I force this?

I'm pretty sure it's possible but i'm just missing it somewhere

Thanks!

Ed

0 Kudos
7 Replies
yajimad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

For your Second question, please deselect [Prompt for Device Ownership Type].

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/services/UEM_Managing_Devices/GUID-AWT-ENROLLMEN...

For your First Question, I think that it is impossible to clean up by operating your OG.

• As per apps and profiles
    Please contact the person who can operates on the parent OG, and make your OG as exclusion of smart groups which are used to distribute profiles and applications on the parent OG.
  • As per user accounts
    If the user accounts are Directory based, please change settings to override on System / Enterprise Integration / Directory Services, and delete some settings(like binduser) so that your OG not sync the AD related to the parent OG. But unfortunately, basic users on the parent OG will remain on your OG.

Hope this helps.

EdK2020
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!  This worked for me:

For your Second question, please deselect [Prompt for Device Ownership Type].

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/services/UEM_Managing_Devices/GUID-AWT-ENROLLMEN...

0 Kudos
EdK2020
Contributor
Contributor

For my first question - the apps are not being assigned to my group

I just don't want to SEE all of the apps in my console view

So the parent OG has a bunch of apps that have been uploaded, and I don't need / want any of those - so I don't want to even see them listed in my apps area

can I stop them from appearing?

0 Kudos
yajimad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I confirmed that I cloud see an application on a child OG of “Managed By” OG. I'm sorry that my former advice for apps and profiles is not correct.

To delete the apps from list view, changing “Managed By” OG of apps and profiles are needed.

And changing “Managed By” OG requires deleting app entries from the parent OGs and recreating them on each Child OGs that needs apps. 

I have tested on my test environment with a parent OG and 2 child OGs.

In OG 003test, Firefox is not listed that is Managed By 002test.

yajimad_0-1614696264293.png

yajimad_1-1614696275069.png

yajimad_2-1614696285492.png

Regards

0 Kudos
EdK2020
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this!  I can't seem to figure out where the "Managed by" settings are

When I add a new app at the parent, it does not allow me to change this Managed By setting - it's already set

So I'm guessing it is a setting related to the Child OG and having to make this change at the Child OG level settings somewhere - but I'm not seeing it.

can you point me to where that is?

0 Kudos
MatthewSwenson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You cannot change the managed by setting for apps...  I'm not sure can change it for anything, actually.  You have to set it when you create the object (defaults to the group you've selected at the top of the screen).

yajimad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Sorry for my late reply,

As Matthew pointed, the "Managed by" attribute of an application is depends on OG that you added an application and we cannot change the attribute for existing app entry.

If we need to change the attribute, we have to delete existing app entry, then change the OG where we operate (i,e. go to Child OG), and add the application again on the OG.

Regards

0 Kudos